Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a vertical garden?

jaiprak
Making a Splash

How to build a vertical garden?

After the bench seat for the dining table (& another small table from the offcut in the making), I have started the plan for the next DIY outdoor.

This time it is a vertical garden above the small BBQ that i have in my backyard. Attached the design. It is going up on a brick wall. Few questions from the experts here - @MitchellMc @EricL @JacobZ @Dave-1 (Please tag other i might have missed)

1. Is 70mm TP strong enough for this good enough for this? Expecting a total weight of about 100Kgs when filled with water.

2.  Are the anchoring with batten screws good or can i reduce by a bit?

3. Is the gap of 22mm between the merbau slats good size (Hope it will be good enough gap to slide the holders of the pots)

3. Any other consideations?

Vertical Garden.jpg

Re: Vertical Garden Design

@Dave-1 @JacobZ @MitchellMc 

finally finished

IMG_0514.jpeg

lesson learnt

1.  Give 10 mm extra on the frame so that it give room for slats that are bent occupy extra mm space

2. pre drill the exact mm noted for the screw to avoid broken and struck screw (forcing you to find another drill spot)

3. Have another person hold the slat against frame so that it does t come out when screw hits it so that you don’t have a gap. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks wonderful @jaiprak! Many thanks for posting the finished project and adding tips for other members.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Afternoon @jaiprak 

Its looking good :smile: Have you figured out what plants to grow?

Love the "Lessons learned" :laugh:

Dave

That’s another topic to figure out. Some herbs for sure. Any other ideas?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @jaiprak 

Mmmm Id go for everyday herbs/things you would use.

Cherry tomatoes,

Spring Onions, (I cheat and keep the bases of the stalks I buy at the store and transplant them and they keep growing if I am lucky)

Parsley,

Corriander,

Mix in some companion flowers to help draw in benifical bugs that eat the other bugs :smile:

Make a schedual up to ensure watering, even if its setting an alarm to remind you.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects