Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a stone pillar facade?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to build a stone pillar facade?

Hello Folks,

I'm curious about using natural stone or stone tiles for the facade, particularly for a pillar that's about 8m high.

I'm considering covering approximately 20 sq.m of the pillar.
Has anyone here attempted this type of project? I'm wondering if it's feasible to do it ourselves using materials from Bunnings.If you've successfully completed a similar project, I'd greatly appreciate any insights you could share. Specifically, I'm interested in:

1. Recommended materials from Bunnings
  2. Any tips or challenges you encountered
  3. Links to photos of your completed projects, if possible
Your experiences and advice would be incredibly helpful as I consider taking on this facade enhancement.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Facade Stone - Pillar

Hello @nagumuthu 

Thanks for sharing your question about using stone as a cover for an 8-meter pillar. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Help with choosing backing board for external stone cladding feature wall in pool area by @markhor. It was mentioned that using natural stone will add a great deal of weight on the surface of the wall of the pillar. I suggest engaging the services of a builder and tiler in order to determine if your post is capable of handling the added weight. 

Another option is to cover the pillar with wood instead just like in this discussion - Brick pillars transformed with hardwood cladding by @DKG. It's an excellent example of transforming the look of the pillar with simple materials such as Merbau.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please, let us know  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Facade Stone - Pillar

Thanks @EricL. Those are good links and I will take this up with a Tiler for advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects