Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a portable beach or picnic table?

jovybsb
Finding My Feet

How to build a portable beach or picnic table?

I want to make a beach/picnic table with foldable or screwed legs that’s easy to put together and take apart at the beach etc, I’m struggling to find the materials locally, plenty on Amazon etc but I’m sure Bunnings has what I need. 
Any ideas?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a portable beach or picnic table?

Hi @jovybsb,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing this project come together. 

Do you have a sketch or plan for your table at this stage that you can share? And do you plan to leave the table out in the elements?

A couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so apologies that there might be a bit of a delay before one of the team can get back to you. 

In the meantime, let me tag some other experienced community members to see if they can share their thoughts with you about what they would use for this build: @JoeAzza@Dave-1@woodenwookie.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: portable beach/picnic table

Hi @jovybsb 

We can definitely design a table for you, but as Jason has mentioned can you please tell us what size is the picnic table? What kind of wood would you like us to use for your design? How tall do you want it to be? Once you've given us more details regarding your picnic table, we'll be able to draw one up for you.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
woodenwookie
Making a Splash

What type of picnic table are you wanting? Are you wanting the full size one or more of a smaller camping style one?

One place I've found to be a good source of plans is Ana White's website. Just multiply all her measurements by 25.4 to get the plans into metric.

She's got a couple of picnic tables there although not so much the folding ones. That being said, that's a big table to take to the park etc.

I've made this:

Wood Folding Sling Chair, Deck Chair or Beach Chair - Adult Size | Ana White

17916170eb61330bcf1f5db92b643fce.JPEG

I just used timber from Bunnings but I replaced all the bolts with 25mm dowel and 4mm dowel as a locking pin.

We used canvas material from Spotlight which my wife sewed.

For your case, the materials would be common. Most picnic tables are just using framing timber and decking timber which Bunnings has. Much of the wood mentioned in American sites is some form or pine or some hardwood so shouldn't be too difficult to find local versions.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @jovybsb 

I would start by sketching out a rough idea of what you would like. 

Next step is to wander through Bunnings and pick up various sizes of timber or metal depending on your idea.

What I am trying to describe is the overall weight of the table quickly adds up. I made myself an outside table using hardwood that I had managed to pick up from work that was going to the bin. Its a great table but seriously requires min of two people to shift it and thats only for a few meters :smile:

If you want a tableto chop up food for a picnic, a sitdown table or one to have food just sitting on it all can be done with differant designs to lowerthe overall weight. 

Dave

image.jpg

Thank you so much for your reply,

I’ve actually have the 600mm round panels from Bunnings and went for a wonder around and found some things I might be able to use. I’m working on it.💪

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects