Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a paver platform for bins?

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

How to build a paver platform for bins?

Changing the pebbled area to pavers to make get the bins in and out a lot easier.

It's on the side of a sloped driveway and there are already pre-existing paving borders.

How much do I need to dig by for the road base and sand and pavers? Looking to have the end pavers lay flush as per the image shown as I will be turfing it the rest of the way down.

1000017325.jpg

1000017327.jpg

1000017326.jpg

1000017328.jpg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paver Platform for Bins

Hello @toffeeapple 

Thank you for those extra photos of your proposed paving area. I'm with @Dave-1 and @MitchellMc on the proposed course of action. If you wish to double check for size, I propose purchasing a few of the pavers you would like to use. You can then dig out the space and double check how far you need to dig down. Just keep in mind that you'll need space for the road base and sand.

I've done a quick photo manipulation of the area to give you an idea of what it might look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

Actually, thinking about it now. Because you can see the concrete slab and there are some gaps underneath, is it beneficial if I raise everything up?

I can put a wall border between the neighbour and our property, raise the level so it's laying flush with the top of the concrete. I can just put a sleeper under the side gate and raise the door.

1000017432.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @toffeeapple 

Once you start digging and you're worried about the gap underneath the slab, you can patch it up with concrete to cover up the gap. It will be necessary to do some form work to prevent the concrete from flowing out, but once it has cured you can take the form work off and start paving.

Raising the pavers to the height of your driveway will make rolling the bins much easier and you won't have to struggle lifting it up due to the uneven level. It will be necessary to do a bit of extra work specially if you are lifting it up. You'll need to build a sleeper frame to hold everything in.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know,

Eric

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

Hi All!

Just to give an update.

I poured roadbase and compacted it as best as I could with a homemade tamper :P.

Then used Sand and Cement dry bed and layed the left side border, I brought it out a bit as I don't want to chip into the concrete driveway's excess concrete. Going to fill the gap with pebbles I think.

Then also did the same for the top border.

Got a straight wooden bar and made sure both sides are levelled horizontally. Ideally I wanted a slight slope down but the right side border which was there already had a drastic slope so I just levelled it with that otherwise neighbour may have an issue with it.

Because of poor alignment on the right border, it was measuring around 76cm internal width towards the top and 78cm towards the bottom. Oh well, first D.I.Y for bins 😂.

Going to lay herringbone pattern so I just tried a sample lay before putting paver sand down.

Let me know if anything to look out for prior to laying.

1000018023.jpg

1000018024.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @toffeeapple 

Thank you so much for that update. It's looking very good, and that herringbone pattern looks fantastic. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing it complete.

Eric

Morning @toffeeapple 

That looks great! It will be so nice to have a smooth area to trundle those bins!

Dave

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

Everything on track. The borders are on a curved slope instead of angle slope, sk the stringline isnt dead in the middle towards the top but it will be covered with bins anyway.

1000018291.jpg

Looking great @toffeeapple. Thanks for the update. Let us know if you need a hand with anything. 

Jason

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

I have finally completed this project with the spare time I have here and there.

1000020384.jpg

That looks amazing @toffeeapple!

Well done; I trust you are super-happy with those results.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects