Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

ricm
Building a Reputation

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

Hi there,
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated... We are building a new deck in an area with pavers in the back. We have an uneven area of pavers up against timber sleepers in the garden corner, my question is - what would you advise that we use to put under the decking to make the area level? If we put 'build tuff' as bases and attached the whole frame base to the side sleepers, would this work?  . 
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Building a new deck where current pavers are

Hi @ricm those drawings @Dave-1 are excellent in providing some detailed guidelines to get this project off the ground. As with @EricL I would also recommend you remove all the pavers as this will allow the freedom to set your height as required and not be defined by the pavers which, may not suit the end result.

One thing I don't think you have mentioned, doesn't the pool have a dedicated coping or is that the last row of the pavers? If there is any stone (pavers or coping) surrounding the pool, If so I would leave them in place. Rounded edged pavers/coping is far more friendly on the hands and body getting in and out of the pool than decking. Plus the edge of the decking will deteriorate and start to split and deform over time. 

Check out the photos below of a deck I built around a pool, which might give you an idea of what your end result may look like. You can see that similar to you I had around 300mm depth. The joist were 20mm below coping height to have a continuous level in to the pool edge once the decking was installed. My jigsaw got a hell of a workout cutting each board to match the curve. It's pretty easy, just lay the board on top, trace the curve against the coping edge and make your cut. I integrated an umbrella holder with PVC pipe to have a place to soak in the pool under shade with a cold one.

Regards, Nailbag

5 Backyard.jpg

7 Backyard.jpg

3k.JPG

ricm
Building a Reputation

Dave - thanks so much - so much to go over here you are very kind to spend this time and effort on me. 

Do you live in Sydney by any chance?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @ricm 

:smile: No problems, I can remember when I first decided to do my deck next to the pool and how I couldnt get my head around a point to start anything. I really wanted to start but was nervous about levels and how to so totally feel your questions :smile:

I am from South of Sydney :smile: A good place to be, well actually since hanging out in here there are so many places around Aus and New Zealand that look absolutly stunning as well :smile:

Dave 

ricm
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much for your suggestions again Dave and @EricL@Nailbag I will go over everything and see whats what. 

Im pleased you all seem to be unanimous in your agreement to remove the pavers, so I have started this already. Once this is done do you think a Bunnings Tiller might save the back a bit? I will need to gather up some of the soil/stones and take away which would be easier if it is free-er. What are your thoughts on this?   

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @ricm 

You may find a resonable amount of sand under your pavers? 

Square shovel, crowbar and a "little trolley that could" aka Gorilla Carts 115L Poly Dump Cart will do it all. The trolley is worth its weight in gold, definently helps the body out more then a wheelbarrow and it tilts the tray up even :smile:

That said if you run into clay then id visit mechanical options :smile:

Dave

ricm
Building a Reputation

That job is amazing @Nailbag ! I love the way you've made it all so perfect around the pool, didn't think it was possible. 

I am realising there are a few tools I need to invest in for this. Whilst I do have an electric saw I don't own a jigsaw, I guess that would be important for this?

I've attached a pic below so you'll see where I am up to currently in these very early stages as well as how the edges of the pool are. I was planning on building on top of those smaller pavers so I guess we will leave them in place?

Another question, when I get to it, should I drain the pool I notice you have done?

CheersIMG_0716.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @ricm 

Definently DONT drain the pool. It can cause a whole bunch of issues if you dont know about.

:smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ricm 

I would definitely keep the pavers around the pool attached and as @Dave-1 said don't empty the pool.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ricm your project looks very much like mine was. Answering your questions . . . . 

A well built concrete pools CAN be drained without issue, this came from a mate of mine who is a pool builder. It's fibreglass ones that shouldn't as they can pop up and crack, break pipes etc. I didn't drain mine, this was a new pool. So, in your case no need to drain the pool.

If this was my project I would be leaving the last two rows of bricks at the pool edge

Tools I used were:

• Mitre saw
  • Circular saw
  • Drill
  • Impact driver
  • Jigsaw
  • Levels
  • Tape measure

No to the tiller, but would consider a mini-loader to take away all the pavers, create some clearance for the joists above ground level (50mm) and clear the work area. Remove the last 3 rows of brick pavers by hand so not to disturb the soldier edge/coping. 

Nailbag

Keep these two rowsKeep these two rows

ricm
Building a Reputation

update - decking project

Hi all, 

OK things getting serious now... 

Ive just finished clearing my pavers ready for a lovely new deck. Phew that was tough for an out of shape guy! 

Following various bits of advice and budget considerations etc. Ive gone with the following for the deck build:

Approx x35 of these frames:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1116-x-1116mm-modular-decking-70-x-45mm-base-frame-flat-packed_p8451223

These for fixing the composite or timber deck boards to the frames:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/klevaklip-88mm-nylon-modwood-decking-concealed-fixing-clip-40-pack_p0116...

This decking:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ekodeck-137-x-23mm-5-4m-decking-backbeach-leatherwood-designer-series-co...

This circular saw? Unless anyone recommends a different one, I just wanted something mobile, strong and good for decking:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bosch-18v-professional-165mm-cordless-circular-saw-gks-18v-57-2-skin-onl...

Here's the ground currently where the deck will sit-

IMG_0809.jpeg

before I start packing the ground down to get it all level, would you say if I use the Good Living Modular decking frames with adjustable heights, I don't need to level the ground (as it is going on left over pavers at each foot position)?

I'm also concerned about the edges of the pool but that's further down the track, really more about the frames that cutting the deck board to fit each part of the pool.

I'd love your feedback guys if you have chance. 

Thank you so much,

Ric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects