Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a horse feeding station?

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

How to build a horse feeding station?

I’m currently working on my first project to share with the community and was wondering if anyone has any innovative ideas of what I could use to separate the three bays that will be the feeding station. I thought of a simple chain that can be clipped to separate each bay but am now concerned if that could be a safety concern.  As you may be able to make out from the photo I intend to you the two current short partitions to separate the bays. Where I’m standing to take the photo is a 5.5 ft fence and there are farm gates on either end of the area so it would be closed off. Obviously when they are done eating the are let out but while they are eating the will be enclosed in their respective bay. 
I have to enclose each bay as if one horse, Teddy, finishes his fed first, which he always does, he will go and steal the other horse’s feed, Grqn. And Gran will just give in and let him have it even though she’s a Clydesdale, so substantially bigger than him, Teddy is the boss. 

I hope this makes sense. Basically what/how to separate them safely. 

IMG_8508.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Horse Feeding Station Project

Hello @tnsmith001 

Would it be possible to build a personal feeding area inside the actual feeding area itself for Gran? This would isolate her and prevent Teddy from mooching in on Gran's food. I propose adding a few extra posts and panels and perhaps a lightweight timber gate made from palings to prevent Teddy from getting ideas. It's either that or isolate Teddy while feeding. But I think it would be better on the more docile of the two as they would not be freaked out by being closed off. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

I might have to draw a diagram of what I intended it to look like. I’ll give it a go. 

Good Evening @tnsmith001 

Love the diagram idea! Will wait for it and give some thoughts to the bays :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tnsmith001 

I look forward to seeing the diagram.

Eric

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @tnsmith001 it will also help to include the who's who and their requirements in your drawing 😁

Nailbag

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

IMG_8520.jpeg

 This is the diagram I promised. I hope it helps. The red is what I hope to do. The question is the best way to separate them when they are eating so Teddy does scoff Gran’s feed as she’s the slower eater. 

IMG_8128.jpeg

 That’s Gran with Baarbara 

IMG_8127.jpeg

 This is Teddy with Cartman 

BTW the whole reason I need the station is the sheep are food thieves too! 

Good Evening @tnsmith001 

Thats a nice sketch and it makes a lot more sense now for what you want to do.

I like the idea of extending the eating station walls out (marked in red)

On the right you have a diagonal gate that you have listed as remove. Is that gate long enough to span the distance between the walls of the feeding station? If so I would change the side its attached to and move it to the side of the large gate that opens up out of the area. That way you can only open it if the large gate is closed and vice versa.

On the left I would also install a gate the same way. Hinged from the outside post near the large gate that opens up the yard to the outside area.

For the middle stall, after you extend it I would have another gate there to close it off. (hinged either side really) The reason I say gate over a rope or a soft fence is for the freeloading sheep that like to steal a snack.

The gates could be made from timber or repurposed gates if you have some around. If made from timber then you will need diagonal bracing. I would check in here for some gate constructions as I have seen some good ones. In particular which side the diagonal piece of timber is attached to the post via a hinge. Here is one that I thought was a decent gate. Timber garden gate rebuild (your one will be wider and I would keep it at the full width so you get to use the gate as a "gate lock" between the feed lot, larger yard and the outside yard.

If you want something more solid I would keep an eye out for some metal gates, Get the bosses feed stall done first and keep looking for gates maybe.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tnsmith001 

Thank you for sharing that detailed drawing. I agree with @Dave-1's suggestions regarding gate addition and positioning. The only thing I would add is put in a mesh in the feeding station to prevent the sheep from coming in and eating Grans food.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects