Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a decorative screen?

Bee_ginnerDIYer
Finding My Feet

How to build a decorative screen?

Hi, I would like to make a decorative outdoor screen and I’m wondering what material would be best to use for this project please? 

It will be approximately 210cm high and 150cm wide.

It will have a repeating pattern cut out of it which mimics that of a breeze block wall.

It will be attached to a frame to help support it and keep its shape.

It will be painted white.

I have a jigsaw, handsaws, and a cordless drill.

I was thinking of using plywood but I’m not sure how effectively I would be able to get clean lines/edges on the pattern I’m cutting out with the jigsaw. I’m happy to use a different material /panel, if it gives me cleaner cuts. 

I would prefer the screen to be thinner rather than thicker for ease of cutting, however I understand the need for strength.

Any advice on materials, techniques and tools would be greatly appreciated please. I’m a beginner DIYer.

Thanks 

Re: How to build a decorative screen?

Hi Nailbag,

Yes you’re right, it will be a lot of work but sadly I’m trying to match an exact pattern I already have. I’ve been looking for the past year and can’t find anything that matches the star breeze block pattern in an outdoor screen. 
I’m not limited by time and enjoy creative projects, so will go ahead with my plan (unless of course a pre-made screen in my pattern appears). I’m also joining a tool library, so that should mitigate some of the cost issues of this project. 
Thanks again. 

Hi @Bee_ginnerDIYer,

I have a couple of thoughts about how you could join the panels.

The cleanest option would be to route a groove in the sides of the panels using an Ultra 6.4 x 4mm Slot Router Bit to accommodate a Yellow Poly Cable Feeder which will then act as a tongue and groove like you would find in a product like this 3600 x 900mm 22mm Particleboard Beige Tongue. This would give you a super clean butt join between the panels that would be very close to invisible once painted.

The next thought I had was to use a flooring transition strip such as this QEP 14mm x 2.5m Transition Cover Trim which could be placed between the sheets, which would then be butted together and fixed into place.

You could also use a timber trim, such as this 42 x 11mm Treated Pine LOSP DAR, which could be shot in place with brad nails. It comes pre-primed and has a fairly low profile so it would blend in nicely once painted.

In terms of other materials, I am not aware of a plastic material that would be great for this project. I suppose you could use acrylic, but sheets that size would be extremely expensive when compared with timber.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Bee_ginnerDIYer 

I was just looking through your project again and wonder if its worthwhile buying a plunge router? I have not used one bfore so not 100% sure on its limitations so would prob go for a cheap one to start with.

Ozito 850W Router (I like ozito and I just searched fro plunge router)

Id even get a small piece of marine ply timber and using @MitchellMc template see how acurrate you can make the design before starting on a whole sheet. The interior point bits may need a hand saw or jigsaw to finish is all. You could also go the path of makingthe "bricks" indervidually and then framing them up like an old school window  say 4 accross, 5 high?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects