Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a basic fire pit set up?

DolceVita
Getting Established

How to build a basic fire pit set up?

I have a metal fire pit on short legs. I would like to create an area in the yard to rest the fire pit. I don’t want it to be very big and ideally not permanent. I was thinking some pavers that I stand the pit on. I will just pull up chairs nearby as needed. I don’t want to fry the grass which is why I want to put pavers.

Are pavers safe for this - especially as there is not a huge amount of space between the bottom of the pit and ground.

I don’t have any DIY experience and so I appreciate any advice. Safety is my priority.

Thank You.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Basic Fire Pit Set Up

Hi @DolceVita,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Pavers will certainly act as an adequately supportive base for your firepit; however, you may run into some issues due to heat transfer.

For peace of mind, you might like to use a Jumbuck 90cm Round Fire Resistant Mat to protect the pavers from potential cracking from the heat.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

DolceVita
Getting Established

Thanks Jacob. I see the reviews are not great on that product although it sounds like a good idea. When you say problems with heat transfer what does that actually mean? What is the likely outcome of that? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DolceVita,

Outdoor pavers are generally made of tinted concrete which has not been produced with the high heat that a fire will produce in mind. The silver material on the fire mat will help to reflect the heat up and away from the pavers.

The worst that can happen is they crack or discolour, but if you are comfortable with this, there's no reason you couldn't leave out the fire mat.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects