Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Besser block short wall along whole fence line?

SheriBobbins
Finding My Feet

How to build a Besser block short wall along whole fence line?

I want to do a low stacked flood barrier wall alone our fence line out of besser blocks. 

I dont have a pic right now, but the yard is quite flat, basic block, possibly on a slight tilt towards the front of yard.  If I have to do it slightly stepped, and do it in sections, will this effect the durability of the wall?  If it's a 20 metre length, and I want to do 4 or 5 sections, slightly stepped, to factor in any minor steep to the front, will the joining sections be less strong? Do you think it will still work as a minor flood barrier incase it floods again?

(We had about 20cm of water come through in 2020.) 

We were going to do the cement foundation, and then brick on top ourselves, and it will be more realistic if we do it in sections for our time constraints, as well as the fact it does seem to tilt a tiny bit from my eye. 

Or should we try to do the whole founndation in one big long strip, and then brick along as we can?   

Thankyou

Sheri

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: besser block short wall along whole fence line, as a flood barrier.

Hi @SheriBobbins,

Many thanks for your question about building a besser block retaining wall.

Is it possible to get some photos of where you're intending to build the retaining wall? This will help our members to better visualise the project and offer specific advice based on your circumstances. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'm more than happy to help. 

Without seeing the area, it is hard to say what is and isn't possible, but it would certainly be stronger if the foundation is poured in one long strip at a uniform level. There's no issue with building the wall in stages, but I would certainly suggest the foundation is poured in one long strip. 

This is because when concrete cures, it forms one uniform structure at a microscopic level. Pouring concrete in stages is possible, but this microscopic-level bond is not achievable unless it is all poured in one go. 

You can tie different sections of concrete together using Jack 12 x 400mm Reinforcing Dowel Bars, but they would not truly be one piece, more akin to two pieces of timber screwed together.

I'm happy to offer further advice once you can upload some images, but in the meantime allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Dave-1, @TedBear, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: besser block short wall along whole fence line, as a flood barrier.

Evening @SheriBobbins 

Welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: There are so many discussions in here regarding water from neighbours hopefully you will find something that will work for you. Its interesting taking a wander through the pages and see what others have done for their water issues.

I do have a couple of concerns about a flood barrier along the fenceline. Have you checked with your local council to determine what is allowed?

Having a 20m length of a barrier is a fairly big chunk of infrastructure. How many Bessa blocks high (from ground level) are you considering? Also where will the water go that you block? It may cause more issues further away.

For a foundation for a wall such as you are describing @JacobZ 's suggestion is how I would go. Less chance of gaps and joins that way. 

Will wait for some pics if possible :smile: 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects