Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach gate to fence post?

gkmsyd
Growing in Experience

How to attach gate to fence post?

I have purchased merbau gate and steel fence(2.4m 50*50) post as attached.

I will concrete the fence post to ground(0.6m), however have questions as what is the best way to attach gate to the post(no bricks and walls involved), which latches to use and what kind of bolts to use to attach the latch to fence post. 

Could you please suggest.fencegate.jpgPost.jpg

Could you please suggest.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach gate to fence post

Hi @gkmsyd,

Thank you for your question about attaching a gate to a fence post.

I'd suggest using a galvanised tee hinge such as this Pinnacle 150mm Galvanised Scotch Tee Hinge. They can be attached to the horizontal rails of the gate using Zenith 8G x 25mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Timber Screws. The hinge can then be attached to the post using Zenith 8G x 20mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Metal Screws. Make sure that the open end of the "V" made by the diagonal bracing is pointing out from the post.

You will need to predrill pilot holes for the timber screws to avoid splitting. Something like this Sutton Tools 3mm Viper Jobber Drill Bit should do the trick, but it is definitely worth confirming in person. If you grab the screws and head to the Tool Shop, the helpful team members at your local store will surely be able to assist you with selecting a suitable drill bit for these screws. 

There's no need to predrill holes for the metal screws as they have a cutting head that will self-drill into the metal. You will need to apply some pressure, so you might want a hand supporting the gate while you do this. Some IRWIN 300mm Quick Grip Mini Clamps will make this a breeze if you don't have anyone to assist.

The choice of latch is entirely up to you, but a good option I can suggest is the ProtectorAl Double Sided Gravity-X Gate Latch, which is lockable with the use of a padlock and does not require you to cut a hole in the gate to access it from the outside. It can be attached to the timber and metal posts using the same hardware as above.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Just out of interest @gkmsyd  - any idea how heavy this Merabu gate is?

Cheers!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

This is purely from experience having put thousands of them on the shelves in my time, but they are around 20kg give or take a few kilos.

Jacob

gkmsyd
Growing in Experience

Thanks a lot for your advice, it is very helpful. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gkmsyd,

No worries at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions as you move forward with your project.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"having put thousands of them on the shelves"

Well - you would know then @JacobZ . 😁

Not as heavy as I thought.

gkmsyd
Growing in Experience

Just one more thing, in the description it said that "the gate can be topcoated with most water-based and oil-based finishes. To fully protect your pre-oiled timber, we recommend topcoating your product as soon as possible following installation"

Is there any specific brand that you could recommend for top coating the gate.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gkmsyd,

I'd suggest using Cabot's 1L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil as it has been specifically formulated for use with Merbau.

You'll need to allow 4-6 weeks of weathering for the natural oils, which are called tannins, to weather out of the timber. 

If you wanted to avoid this wait, you can use Cabot's New Timber Prep to remove these tannins so you can coat the timber immediately.

Ensure you follow all manufacturers instructions and wear the relevant personal protective equipment including gloves, a long sleeved workshirt and a mask.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

gkmsyd
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects