Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Ekodeck onto concrete sleeper retaining wall?

DIYHome
Just Starting Out

How to attach Ekodeck onto concrete sleeper retaining wall?

Hi community,

Would need some advice on covering our concrete sleeper retaining wall at the front of the house please

We have already purchased ecodeck decking boards to cover them but need to know we are doing the right thing before we start.

I understand that we need to fix timber onto the steel post and then affix the ecodeck as you would normally do and same as the capping. Below are my questions pls

1) What type of screws should I use to fix timber onto steel post ? Do I also need to glue the timber as well ?

2) Sleepers are 2m wide and the wall is 600mm height , so we are thinking of 2 treated pine timber one on the top and one somewhere in the middle https://www.bunnings.com.au/70-x-35mm-outdoor-framing-h3-treated-pine-2-4m_p8032103

3) How to fix the capping ? Steel post is 100mm wide and sleeper thickness is 80mm if that helps 

Appreciate your help

Thanks !IMG_8056.jpgScreenshot 2024-09-24 095827.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to attach Ekodeck onto concrete sleeper retaining wall?

Good afternoon @DIYHome 

Having a think about what you want to do I would actually be tempted to not fasten to the steal posts of the concrete sleeps. mainly because you cant get a bolt through them and I dont know if the sleeper would stand up to be drilled so close to the end of it.

If you put in three posts that butt up against your 2m concrete sleepers then you will be able to attach your composite decking to them. For the capping id actally go a little wide so the look of your post would be straight up, over and then down a little. Like a large square hook. The hook over the top will hold the post in place at the top, the capping and inside skirt will give it ridgility. 

This way you ar not changing the way the concrete sleeps are supported, you are just dressing around them.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYHome 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about attaching Ekodeck to your retaining wall.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I was thinking about Dave-1's explanation of creating a large hook that would go over the sleeper. It can be done with the 70x35, and I propose using Selleys 350g Liquid Nails Heavy Duty to glue the frame to the concrete sleepers. I've drawn a sample image below to give you an idea of what Dave-1 I believe is proposing. 

Please have a good look and let us know if it this design is acceptable to you.

If you wish to modify the setup, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

:smile: @DIYHome and @EricL 

Yep, got it in one! Nice work :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects