Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Christmas lights to the roof?

AHoy
Having an Impact

How to attach Christmas lights to the roof?

I'm getting a bit of pressure from the kids to put up some Christmas lights this year. It's becoming a bigger thing in the neighbourhood. We have a terracotta tiled roof though so I'm not that keen to be up there for too long - I want something quick and easy. Keen to hear from those with experience about how best to attach some lights. Am also thinking a projector is a safe an easy addition.  

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to attach Christmas lights to the roof

Afternoon @Richiet 

I dont like mounting things on the roof, I know I am lazy and recovering them after Christmas will always lag so they will end up looking ratty..... :smile:

However Some ideas you could use.

Craftright 300mm 2 Piece Quick Action Clamp You need to be able to go over the ridge of the roof and clamp either side. And not clamp to tight as you wouldnt want to crack the tiles. There are other clamps that you will be able to match to your roof tho. You could then string your lights through the clamps or use them as fastening points.

I agree with @Noyade about not wanting to get on the roof tho. So how about something along these lines.

Construct a large T shapped piece of timber. The long piece is flat, the shortT arm is on its edge. You screw the edge piece to the long piece on the ground so you have a smooth surface and the other surface has a"step" in it.

This is placed flat side up on the roof, the short piece sits in the gutter to stop it wanting to tilt or slip out. I would recomend some small clamps to help it stay in place on the gutter in case of wind. 

With this sorted, you could put some screws/hooks, into the top side of the long piece and then hook your light string through it as you push it up on the roof proper. Never having to step on the roof :smile: You get your lights plus you dont chance falling off the roof!

Notes -

Make sure you have rubber feet for clamps on the gutter

May be an idea to have a pice of rubber underneath the long piece tip so it wont scratch or bang so much.

Have a way to get them down if something gets caught.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects