Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add drainage and re-level pavers?

Smnthandrsn
Finding My Feet

How to add drainage and re-level pavers?

Hello!

I'm looking to rip up these old pavers and Re-level them as they currently have a bit of a slope to the house. And I'm concerned about drainage or any water pooling to the house (new owner). I am planing to dig down to the lowest level. What is the best method for levelling? Will I need to compact the soil before retiring? Should I add any drains or ag or similar?

1000030938.png

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add drainage and re-level pavers?

Hi @Smnthandrsn 

Yes  it is important to  redirect that water pooling to the house good catch.

No  drain  needed if the tilt reversed away from the house.

Basically  your soil is already compacted I would not dig to the lowest level this is hard work save your strength for other projects as needed. Your under paver is perfectly ok  as the area is level already. All we need to do is add some more sand etc to reverse the paver tilt.  The new sand  will not need compaction as the weight of the paver will do that for  you simply tap them in  even with a rubber mallet as you go its  not like your driving your car on them and substrate allready time compacted no point redoing it.

A)  I would  lift the pavers and simply add some more sand 30mm (More slope at need on the existing substrate regardless of what it is ) Start  the fall at the house and feather it out to 1 mm to give you a reverse slope away  from the house use a level to make sure the slope is enough to flow water from the house.

Make a dry sand/cement leveled area with the  suitable fall and relay the pavers using a string line to aling the rows and columns square once the pavers laid use a gently water spray over the pavers to wet the  sand cement underneath so it sets as is.

B )  If the pavers allready on a cement slab  dry mix cement powder and sand together and do as in at point A  1 part cement to 5 sand ratio should  do it.

I would use sand cement mix  powder regardless of substrate locking the pavers in place I would use sand cement dry mix between the pavers too as it sets after being  wet  and resists  weed growth,

If   raising the the paving at the house side a problem it creating a step then you will need to remove sub paver levels at an angle away from the  house if possible.

At last resort cut a drain in between house and  pavers .

Food  for your thoughts

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Smnthandrsn 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about re-levelling your pavers.

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I totally agree with the recommendations made. Just to add to the excellent suggestions made, I propose using Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel at the low end of your paving run. In this manner any water that does flow onto your pavers will get redirected away by the drain.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Smnthandrsn 

Having water fall towards the house is not a happy feeling :smile: I do like your suggestions tho. 

I wouldnt dig down to the lowest level and would follow @Jewelleryrescue's recomendations over removing the tiles and a bit of sand.

I would put in a drain at the bottom of the slope, water pooling and running naturally where ever it wants will cause issues. @EricL's suggestion for the drain is what I would be using as well. (I am putting a drain in this weekend for the same reasoning)

Your shed on the side does stand out. I would be tempted since you are lifting the pavers to aslo run that same grilled drain along the edge of the shed and join it to the drain across the back of the paved area. That way your shed will stay dry from any water on the paved area. 

The drain. Do you know where the grill drain will empty to? Do you have a low point on your block or do you have access to stormwater piping?

If you dont then you could go for a drain pit type deal that will fill when it rains and then seep away. You could have it coil up under a garden bed using socked ag pipe 100mm so the garden bed will have water as it seeps into the soil. Only problem with either of these options is that when full it will take a bit for it to drain.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects