Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add VJ boards to enclose deck?

katdav
Finding My Feet

How to add VJ boards to enclose deck?

IMG_8066.jpeg

IMG_8067.jpeg

Hi, 

we are attempting to update our outdoor semi enclosed deck. We are considering putting VJ panels around the enclosed wall area (similar to the Reno photo attached) then change the blinds up and then not sure what from there. Just wondering, presumably we have to use waterproof vj James Hardie panels on the outdoor wall areas. Given the size, can we just glue to the existing boards? Happy to take any decorating tips anyone wishes to give!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: vj boards for enclosed deck

Hi @katdav,

There are a number of Hardie's grooved panels you could use for your project, such as HardieGroove. Each of these products has its own installation guidelines, but generally, you’ll need to secure them with screws or nails to the underlying timber frame rather than just gluing them to the existing boards. This ensures a secure and long-lasting finish, especially in an outdoor setting where moisture and weather exposure can cause issues if the panels aren't properly fixed.

In terms of design, updating the colour of the decking from red to a more neutral tone, like a soft grey or natural timber stain, would dramatically modernise the space and make it feel more cohesive with the VJ panels. A neutral deck colour allows you to introduce other accents, like outdoor furniture or plants, without the space feeling too busy. Additionally, you might want to consider adding a screened feature wall or privacy screen in one section of the deck. This would create visual interest, break up the enclosed areas, and add a bit of extra privacy. It could also double as a backdrop for outdoor plants or hanging lights to enhance the atmosphere. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to build privacy screening.

If you're looking for more ideas, changing the blinds to something more modern, like sleek roller blinds or outdoor shutters, could further elevate the space. These simple updates would give your semi-enclosed deck a fresh, modern look while still maintaining functionality.

Let me mention @LaCasaDIY who created this wonderful Mediterranean-inspired outdoor renovation for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much. Just more wanting to confirm also that the waterproof ones are best to use and sadly I will need to confirm that the existing sheeting isn’t asbestos I guess given the nail suggestions!

Wouldn’t I have to use the fibrocement given the exposure to elements of is the Hardie groove linked ok?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

My apologies @katdav. Even though the Hardie Groove is fibre cement it would be best to go with a specific exterior lining similar to Weathertex 3660 x 1196 x 9.5mm Weathergroove 75mm Smooth Panel due to the weather exposure. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects