Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How long to leave H3 treated pine fence posts before painting?

lauravdh
Finding My Feet

How long to leave H3 treated pine fence posts before painting?

Hi, 

I recently constructed a garden fence using 70x35 H3 treated pine posts. I was told at the Bunnings paint counter to wait 2-3 weeks before painting the posts however other blogs online suggest to wait at least 6 weeks. Looking for advice on how long to leave the fence posts to weather before painting. I will be using Dulux Weather shield paint. 

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How long to leave H3 treated pine fence posts before painting?

Hello @lauravdh 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Its sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your fence post. 

Technically if the post is still sweating and oil is still coming out of the pores of the timber it would be best to wait 6 weeks. What you're looking for is a very dry timber surface, with no tannins or timber oil seeping out.

However, I'm just a bit concerned that you used H3 as a post. Did you bury it directly into the soil? Although H3 is treated for outdoor use it is not rated for direct soil contact. You would need to use H4 as this is the one rated for direct soil contact.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric.

i did put them in the ground, but filled the holes in with concrete so technically not contact with the soil. hoping this will be ok. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lauravdh 

I hope that will be enough to protect the timber. Only time will tell how long the post will last.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects