Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i fix leaking downpipe?

jackndiane
Growing in Experience

How do i fix leaking downpipe?

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg

 this down pipe is leaking i think in the bends which aren’t visible as there inside the eaves and starting to damage interior wall you can also see water dribble down outside the downpipe,there has been two people have a quick look and said need a new Downpipe but there’s nothing wrong with it apart from maybe a cleanout,it’s metal and no rust,what do you think just replace bends or somehow seal each bend or totally renew

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i fix leaking downpipe

Hello @jackndiane 

Thanks for sharing your question about your downpipe. If the leaks are extensive and are and leaking inside your eaves as well, it will be necessary to remove the eaves so that you can get access to the metal downpipe inside. Leaks are often an indication that parts of the metal downpipe are deteriorating even a small leak could be an indicator of a rust spot that's occurring inside the down pipe. 

Using PVC downpipes on the other hand is a better option as it does not rust. The reason it leaks is because of age, the glue has expired, or cracking or splitting has occurred. If you have the budget set aside for downpipe repairs, I suggest thinking about replacing the galvanized set with PVC.     

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jackndiane
Growing in Experience

How difficult is it to remove that section of eave,make the bends with PVC fit to gutter and down into the soak inlet

Good Morning @jackndiane 

I can imagine a few reasons why the pipe could be leaking, Mostly starting with a blockage and then rusting away from there. Have you a camera on a flexible cable that can be put down the pipe? Or even push a hose down the downpipe to see if it feel like an obstruction?

I havnt encounted downpipes within eaves so I am not sure if its straight down the downpipe from the gutter or more a traditional elbow. If you are unsure of getting up to the roof or dont have the tools then I would be calling a gutter repair person. 

Dave

jackndiane
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave 

Hi @jackndiane

The difficulty of this task largely depends on your D.I.Y. ability. If you have experience working on downpipes, you might find it manageable. However, since part of the downpipe is within the building structure, any mistakes could lead to future leaks and extensive damage. If you haven't tackled such a project before, it's best left to professionals. 

Since this is considered drainage work, installation most often requires a licensed plumber.

Mitchell

Thanks for the info again Mitchell think I could manage but might give that headace to a gutter expert,cheers mate Thankyou 

Hey Mitchell I’m back again ,do you know a good honest gutter bloke or someone handy who can come have a look,most gutter tradies are busy of course this time of year

You might like to look towards services such as Airtasker and hipages to enlist a tradesperson in your local area.

Mitchell

It’s actually my landlady’s place and she doesn’t like the email and text for help,you seem to know what your doing mate are you busy haha,here’s another job for ya ,I’m actually going to Bunnings to get parts tackle this one myself

IMG_1177.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects