Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do fix the closer on my Peters security flywire door?

lynbeard
Just Starting Out

How do fix the closer on my Peters security flywire door?

my fly wire door is Self closing however the string or fishing line which helps to close the door is very frayed and will need to be replaced.. can it be done by me?

IMG_1841.jpeg IMG_1840.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i replace the fishing line on my Peters security flywire door.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @lynbeard. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing your flywire door.

While I'm not familiar with this specific door, many self-closing mechanisms use tensioned cords or lines that can be replaced with a bit of D.I.Y. effort. If you're able to trace the line’s path and access its connection points, it’s possible you could replace the frayed line with a similar material, such as thick gauge fishing line or durable nylon cord. You’ll want to ensure that the replacement line has enough strength to handle the tension, as it will be responsible for pulling the door closed.

Before proceeding, I’d recommend taking a close look at how the line is secured at both ends and whether there’s a way to remove and replace it without dismantling the whole door. If the mechanism allows, carefully remove the old line and thread the new one through, making sure it matches the original tension when you secure it.

If you're unsure or run into any issues, it may be best to contact the manufacturer directly for specific instructions. Alternatively, you could also check with a local locksmith or security door installer for assistance.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects