Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I level fence posts anchored on to un-level concrete?

tombullen
Community Newcomer

How do I level fence posts anchored on to un-level concrete?

Hello, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I'm installing an aluminium screening fence on to aggregate concrete and surprise surprise, I'm having real trouble getting my posts properly vertical. I have bolt down post brackets (link below) that the posts slide over the top of which means the anchor itself needs to be perfectly level because there's no play available for the posts. 

https://www.aluminiumscreening.com.au/our-products/Black-Post-bracket?limit=100

I've used anchors to bolt the posts to the concrete (link below) and the posts are not level in two directions - both forward and back, and side to side. What I've tried to do is use some stainless steel or galvanised washers that I had lying around to lift up the bracket on one side and that gets me close to vertical in one direction (side to side) but not back to front. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-8-x-40mm-stainless-steel-dynabolt-plus-hex-nut-masonry-anchor_p22...

I've done some googling and looked through this forum and these are the options I have so far:

1. Buy some more washers and keep trying to fine tune the levelling, and put the washers on all four anchors if need be. I could fill any gap with a sealant of some kind so it looks neat once complete.

2. Build a pad with structural grout and hope that, as it's liquid, it will self-level. The risk here is that it may end up being too high and then once it's set I don't have enough screw for the bolt to bite into, and then trying to fix that problem would be a real headache.

3. Use mortar or concrete and using a small but thick mixture I could dollop some under the post bracket and then squish it down as I level out the post. Because it's non expansive it would act like a coaster, and I could keep squashing it down enough until I can definitely get the anchor bolts to grip the screw. 

4. Go scorched earth and pull out the existing anchors, re-hire a concrete drill, and either drill in larger anchors and try option 2 with a 1cm footing, or find a new bracket that allows me to adjust the post when attached. Not sure if there are any brackets though as the post is 76mm by 76mm so an odd size.

Any advice would be appreciated! I thought this would be a simple job but it's become a small nightmare!

Thanks,

Tom

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How do I level fence posts anchored on to un-level concrete? I have a few options but need advic

Afternoon @tombullen 

Welcome to the Community, its a pretty good place to wander through and get some ideas. Your idea tho is spot on already. 

When I have had to level a light post for the same reasoning (and yeah it was me pouring the concrete :surprised: I used a few metal washers and switched them around until it was true vertical. I have used washes on all four pins on a post before. It happens "shrug" But you are doing the right thing.

I have also used these Macsim Fasteners 75mm Assorted Window Packers - 90 Pack to help pack out edges so it would be a vertical surface.

You could do a combo of the washers or packers then once the post is installed mortar around the base?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I level fence posts anchored on to un-level concrete?

Hi @tombullen 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about levelling your fence posts.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree with the suggestion of using washers to level the post, it's the most convenient way to level it without having to put new concrete in or pull out the bolts. If you wish to keep it looking neat and tidy you can fill the space with construction grout or mortar. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects