Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill in a broken edge of my porch pillar?

SukhiS
Just Starting Out

How do I fill in a broken edge of my porch pillar?

One of the pillars on my porch has a fairly big portion broken off. I'm not sure what material this is made of, and I need help on how to fill this in. Any help is appreciated! 

ca2b1f0e-cfff-4a76-9b5b-53b5e6dda079.jpg

IMG20230809083109.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How do I fill in a broken edge of my porch pillar?

Good afternoon @SukhiS 

Ouch and Ive taken out too many corners myself :surprised: 

Do you still have the missing brickwork? If you do then maybe this Cream mortar  (Havnt used it myself but will be repairing mortar soon enough)

Or maybe this one would be better? Mortar gap filler (Not sure how thick is recomended but the tube will probarly say so)

Would loveto see a pic after your repair :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fill in a broken edge of my porch pillar?

Hi @SukhiS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about fixing your damaged porch pillar.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to repair the render? by @Jolly181. If the remaining fixtures are still steady and solid it should be possible to fill the gap with render and duplicate the finish.  

In the discussion, I suggested using Dingo Fast Set Mortar - 3kg and using a Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel to apply the mortar onto the damage. In your case, I suggest mixing the mortar to the consistency of peanut butter. Putting too much water in will make the mortar mixture too soft and it will not hold its form. Please keep in mind that this is a fast-setting mortar, and you have a set time to work with the mixture.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to render

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your repair project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects