Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i close or fill the gap between my retaining wall and my neighbours fence?

Enoch1
Just Starting Out

How can i close or fill the gap between my retaining wall and my neighbours fence?

IMG_6214.jpeg

IMG_6216.jpeg

IMG_6215.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i close or fill the gap between my retaining wall and my neighbours fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Enoch1. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering a gap.

Drilling holes into the top of the bricks and then Dynabolting lengths of 200 x 50mm sleepers would likely do the job. The treated Pine must have a gap between it and the Colorbond due to the chemicals in it reacting with the coating on the fence.

You might like to consider how this issue might be addressed while completing a larger makeover of the area. For inspiration, check out our Top 10 most popular side yard projects.

Let me mention @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @DIYGnome for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How can i close or fill the gap between my retaining wall and my neighbours fence?

Afternoon @Enoch1 

I was thinking of some right angled flashing bolted to the brickwork with a bit of an airgap between the fence and the edge of the flashing. The Sleeper idea of @MitchellMc  would work as well.

You need a bit of an airgap as the fence does move with time and you dont want any pressure put on the fence to bend it out of alignment.

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Enoch1 I think either of @MitchellMc or @Dave-1 ideas would work very well should you wish to keep the sideway looking as much as possible to what it does now.

As a 3rd suggestion, you could position sleeper planter over he brickwork back to the fence and plant them out as per the steps and images below.

1. 2400mm x 50mm treated pine sleepers with returns on the joins back to the fence line. Use 100mm batten screws to fix the returns

2. Line the inside walls with multi-use plastic film and staple it to the top edge of the sleepers. Alternatively shade cloth fasteners just hammer in to place.

3.  Pierce holes in the plastic along the back edge overt the gap between the fence and retaining wall.

4. Fill with soil and plant out.

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 8.29.58 PM.png

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Hello @Enoch1 🖐

I'm really digging the suggestion made by @Nailbag as green is always good, plants along the side of the house will really lift the aesthetics IMHO whilst obfuscating the chasm between your raised retaining wall/walkway & neighbour's fence line 👍

As for the very end/beginning of the divide a singular tall shrub would equally mask the chasm and tie in with the planter box suggestion...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects