Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make a curved fence?

Bandicoot
Getting Established

How can I make a curved fence?

We want a pool in our front yard and am looking to build a fence on top of a limestone block retaining wall which faces the street.  I haven't been able to find a readily available solution to follow a 3.6m radius curve at one end of the wall; I've considered thin planks, but most of the timber available seems to be pine which doesn't curve uniformly because of the knots (I've done it before, but not to such a small radius) and no-one seems to want to curve 90x16mm aluminium.  Colorbond fence panels or perforated mesh might be okay if there was a support channel which could be curved.  I was wondering if anyone has used horizontal F/C cladding planks for this purpose (230 wide or cut into narrower strips) which can be curved okay so long as they don't overlap (pool regs only permit tiny gaps anyway).  If so, what post spacing would be adequate?  Any other ideas are welcome (of course).

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: How can I make a curved fence?

Hi @Bandicoot

Depending on just how stubborn you are, you can make curved rails by laminating thin strips of timber glued together whilst clamped in the curve you want (effectively creating curved plywood rails)! If you construct a steamer box, you can do the same with thicker strips.

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Hi Noyade,

Thanks for the suggestion; the cladding could probably be any sort of fencing steel, or even pickets screwed on from behind.  Worthy of further investigation. 🙂

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Hi R4addZ,  Not sure if I'm that stubborn (or skilled); the steamer box might end up a bigger project than the fence.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects