Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make a curved fence?

Bandicoot
Getting Established

How can I make a curved fence?

We want a pool in our front yard and am looking to build a fence on top of a limestone block retaining wall which faces the street.  I haven't been able to find a readily available solution to follow a 3.6m radius curve at one end of the wall; I've considered thin planks, but most of the timber available seems to be pine which doesn't curve uniformly because of the knots (I've done it before, but not to such a small radius) and no-one seems to want to curve 90x16mm aluminium.  Colorbond fence panels or perforated mesh might be okay if there was a support channel which could be curved.  I was wondering if anyone has used horizontal F/C cladding planks for this purpose (230 wide or cut into narrower strips) which can be curved okay so long as they don't overlap (pool regs only permit tiny gaps anyway).  If so, what post spacing would be adequate?  Any other ideas are welcome (of course).

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How can I make a curved fence?

Hi @Bandicoot you have certainly thrown the gauntlet out with this one.

It's going to be a very tough DIY project to build and also be one that is pool fence compliant. The only product I can think of will need to be flexible between thin metal posts would be something like clear PVC handisheet panels for example. If someone in the community is unable to provide a suitable solution you may need to go down the expensive custom fence road.

Regards, Nailbag

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Thanks Nailbag.  Slatted fences are pool compliant if the spaces are small enough (from memory <9mm).  I should have mentioned that I also looked at Ekodeck 67x15 screening slats, they curve beautifully but only come in 2.7m lengths, a very limited range of colours, and probably wouldn't hold paint.  They seem to have disappeared from Bunnings website anyway.  The Suntuf panels are way too small and most PVC or polycarbonate products wouldn't be strong or durable enough.  The F/C is the only solution I've come up with so far, but if that's not possible the custom fence hasn't been ruled out.

Hi @Bandicoot,

Could you divide the curved section into several flat portions and use vertical boards? Obviously, this would not look as perfect as a curved option, but it would be far more achievable. You could even use panels such as the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel. Roughly six panels should achieve that curve.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks MitchellMc.  I'm sure the Merbau would look great but it wouldn't be a curved fence, and would give me a lot of maintenance headaches down the track (I'm not getting any younger).  If the fence follows the retaining wall it only needs to be 900mm high on the pool side to comply with the revised regulations; that is enough to give us privacy from the road whilst retaining the view.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Bandicoot if you go down the custom trail, aluminium rectangular tubed pickets would make for a very clean line as a front feature fence as well as provide that nessessary strength and security.

Nailbag

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Yep it would, however if I go for horizontal I need to curve the slats; if I go for vertical I need to curve the rails they attach to.  It's a similar problem and your first response was spot on!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Then it sounds like you might need to go down the custom fence route @Bandicoot. I can't think of any materials that would suit the bend required in your curved section, not to mention the rails that also need to be curved.

Regarding your original question on the cement cladding, it could potentially conform to that radius but is not designed to be used as such. It's a bit of a gamble as to whether it would fail in the future due to the stress imparted on it from the curve.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.  I'm coming to the same conclusion (but I'm a stubborn coot!).

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Bandicoot 

Bands of steel plate (3mm thick - choose whatever width you want) curved and attached to whatever posts you have, as railing - then covered with vertical mini-corrugated iron, bent to the curve and pop-riveted. Most steel plate comes in 6 metre lengths and some steel suppliers will even cut to size - no cost. Just shop around.

Cover the top with elaborate woodwork.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects