Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flatten mango wood tabletop slab

AntonT
Building a Reputation

Flatten mango wood tabletop slab

1000017766.jpg

1000017764.jpg

   

I have a mango wood slab I am using as a tabletop for a bar outside. 

One side has warped and sits proud of the base. 

I was thinking of putting wood above and below and clamping it down to allow me to screw it to the tabletop but I thought someone may have a better idea. 

See photos. 

1000017768.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Flatten mango wood tabletop slab

Hello @AntonT 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your mango tabletop. If your metal frame is strong enough to hold the bowed timber you should be able to anchor it to the steel. As far as I'm aware the only way to repair this type of bow is by using steam to relax the fibres of the wood. However, I'm not sure where to find such large steam cabinets.    

Let me call on our experienced members @Noyade, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @AntonT 

Mmmm I do have an idea but its a slow idea....

I have had long lengths of hardwood posts and rails that have had a bannana bend to them. Me being me I flipped them upside down and piled other heavy wood on them and left it for 6 months, the bend almost corrected itself. The lengths of timber were stretched bewteen the edge of the deck and an old retaining wall fence.

So If you have the time undo it from the bench and flip it upside down across some high points and then load with bricks or weights on the peak of the bend. I am not sure how flexible mango wood is but dont think its going to be as hard as hardwood so it may level out.

I think if you force it then you may succced but the force required will be more then most products I can think will handle it for enough time for it to flatten.

Dave

AntonT
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric. I'll try and if not I might call around to see if I can find someone locally who can help. 

AntonT
Building a Reputation

Thank you. Makes a lot of sense. 

Mango wood is quite soft so that would work. 

I'll call it plan B. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @AntonT 

lol I like that! :smile:

If it works or dosnt I do think it could be a nice project as that type of question has popped up a few times over the past year or so.

Dave

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening again @AntonT 

Found the post/thread of the bent timber that might help you out.

How to unwarp Pine sleeper? 

Dave

AntonT
Building a Reputation

Thank you. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects