Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence Gate D-Latch Strike Extender

Zalethor
Community Newcomer

Fence Gate D-Latch Strike Extender

Hi all,

Over the recent months with wild winds, the fence that hosts the D-Latch has progressively edged further away from the fence gate that hosts the striker. Is my only option to re-drill the two couple together (closer to the edge), or is there a longer striker that exists? I've checked the Bunnings store as well as online and there is one that exists which is a straight striker instead of one that looks more like a "T" shape.

I was also considering looking at extending the striker with a steel plate of some sort but wasn't able to find one that has the sizing that I need.

dlatch.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence Gate D-Latch Strike Extender

Hi @Zalethor 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your gate latch.  

It would be possible to install a piece of steel such as the Carinya 117 x 20 x 2mm Zinc Mending Plate. But I think it's better to address the lean on the gate. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the entire gate along with fence that's leaning. We might be able to make recommendations on how to modify the gate to compensate for the lean and bring it back into alignment with the latch set.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects