Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do my stairs need to be replaced?

all-thumbs
Just Starting Out

Do my stairs need to be replaced?

Hi, another newbie question. Our outdoor backyard stairs seem to be splintering. You can fee them sink when you step on them. No cover over them so always exposed to the wind & rain. Is there anything I can do fix the stairs or do they need to be replaced completely? 

IMG_4749.jpeg

IMG_4750.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do my stairs need to be replaced?

Hi @all-thumbs,

It's brilliant to see you showing interest in improving and maintaining your new home. Any questions you have are welcome here.

Your indication that they seem to sink when stood on makes me think there may be some issues with either the treads themself or with their connection to the stringers. 

The treads don't look fantastic, but they might be in ok condition. If you take a flathead screwdriver and poke it into the crack in the step treads, does the timber appear soft? Or is it still fairly solid?

If it is soft, then the treads may have begun to rot internally which would mean you need to at least replace the treads. If they are fairly solid, the problem is more likely to be with the connection to the stringers.

Is it possible to get some photos of the underside of the stairs, particularly where the treads connect to the stringers? I have circled where I mean below.

If there is rot where the treads connect to the stringers, depending on the severity, you will likely need to replace the stringers or add additional support to the underside of the treads. 

If you can upload some photos of the underside of the stairs, I'd be happy to advise further.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects