Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking posts into concrete or bracket?

canberraben
Just Starting Out

Decking posts into concrete or bracket?

Hi all 

Looking for a show of hands on putting H4 posts straight into concrete or using post anchors? 

I’ve done half my deck project using the Pryda post anchors bolted into concrete pads, but it was time consuming, fiddly, and the deck on that side will need lateral bracing to the support the post anchors. 

What are people’s thoughts on setting posts directly into concrete with bitumen paint to protect against rot. No, it won’t last forever, but am I looking at 10 years, 20, 30 etc? If it’s likely to last 10+ years I’d be inclined to go with convenience. 

Thoughts appreciated! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decking posts into concrete or bracket?

Hi @canberraben

When deciding between putting H4 posts directly into concrete or using post anchors, both methods have their pros and cons, and your choice can impact the longevity and stability of your deck.

Setting posts directly into concrete can be more straightforward and time-efficient than post anchors. Bitumen paint can be applied to the portion of the posts that will be buried to help protect against rot. However, it's essential to note that while this treatment can improve durability, the lifespan of the posts may still be affected by environmental factors such as soil conditions and moisture levels.

Typically, with proper installation and maintenance, you might expect H4-treated pine posts set in concrete to last 10 to 20 years, depending on the conditions mentioned. In some extreme circumstances, their lifespan could be reduced to as little as one year.

If you prioritise convenience and are comfortable with the trade-off in longevity, setting the posts directly into concrete could be a good option for your project. Just be sure to monitor the posts for signs of wear over time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects