Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cooking with trowels

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Cooking with trowels

Over the years I've eaten many hamburgers at fish and chip shops where the burgers have been cooked with large spatulas from, I believe, hardware stores. Some were connected to light chains. When asked where they got them from the reply is usually - "it came with the business."

The only issue I saw with using them is when they 'scoop and flip' - the bare knuckles are close to the hot plate.

So I'm now trying this bricklayer's trowel I recently purchased. Three straight sharp edges, very little flex and the hand is well away from the hot plate. Fantastic for eggs - gonna try burgers on the weekend.

Cheers.

20240818_181807.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cooking with Trowels

Hi @Noyade,

While your spatula looks much more suited, I got some great use out of a Hyde 6" Plasterboard Joint Knife while working away.

I like to think it played an important role in some of the best burgers I've ever made.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for the Joint Knife recommendation @JacobZ.

I had a look sometime ago - but couldn't see anything similar other than pointed trowels.

20240817_124407.jpg

Last weekend I tried small lamb burgers with Spanish spices and the trowel works well, but that Joint Knife would be great for downward pressure on the trowel.

I'll look for it on the weekend.

Cheers!

20240824_140324.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

You'll find some in the plastering aisle and some in the paint section as they are often used for jobs in both of these categories.

I'm sure that burger tasted as good as it looks.

Now you've got me drooling, I think it might be time to stop for lunch. 

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects