Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a custom thin workbench for small garden shed?

JonnyH
Getting Established

How to build a custom thin workbench for small garden shed?

Hi,

First time doing a project like this. Would anyone be able to some advice on how to make it and suggestions of ideas?

I'm wanting to build a thin but tallish work bench for my partners shed. I"d like it to be tall because I need to fit a lawn mower under it and thin because the shed itself is quite small.

The internal shed dimensions are;

W- 745mm

L- 1490mm
H-1790mm

The Lawn mower is 860mm tall and 1240 long.

So ideally I'd like the work bench to be taller then the mower and then perhaps just under half the width of the shed so around 350mm.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Jonny

IMG_2718.jpegIMG_2719.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Custom Thin Workbench of Small Garden Shed

Hi @JonnyH,

Thanks for the question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's fantastic to have you with us.

I've done up a quick design for you using 70x35mm Framing Pine and 18mm MDF. You will need a flat surface to work on, a drill, a phillips head driver and a 4.5mm drill bit.

Please note that I have made the depth of the bench slightly over 350mm to ensure everything can be cut in store.

These are the components separated from each other. You will need 8.7 lineal metres of framing which can be cut instore from 4 x 2.4m lengths of timber. I've selected a sheet of 18mm MDF to act as the work surface which can also be cut to size in store.

Start by assembling the worktop. Everything can be screwed together using Zenith 10 - 8 x 65mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws, making sure to use 2 in each framing connection and at least 9 screws in the MDF sheet.

Once the top is assembled, place the top on to the legs and attach the legs with at least 2 screws into each leg.

When the legs are attached, attach the horizontal bracing 450mm up the legs with 2 screws at each connection point. This is there to stabilise the legs and prevent them from pivoting off the screws in the top.

This design should maximise the space in your shed and allow for storage of the mower with a little bit of room on the end to store things like rakes and brooms upright while still giving you a good sturdy surface to work on.

Let me know what you think and if there's anything you need clarified or adjusted.

Jacob

JonnyH
Getting Established

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you so much.

I don't really know what else to say. That's perfect.

The shed can get damp in heavy rain, would you recommend the treated pine? I've heard damp wood can attract termites.

I'll get everything together and start the project next weekend. I'll let you know how I go.

Thank you again!!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JonnyH,

No worries, happy to help.

I did notice after rereading your request that the lawn mower is 1240mm long and my design will only have a gap of 1130mm between the legs.

Will this design work with that in mind? 

I am happy to make some adjustments to the design if required, but I thought it may be ok if the lawn mower has a folding handle and the catcher was removed.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

JonnyH
Getting Established

I just double checked. The handle does fold so the length will be fine. Do you think it'll be too high to work on because I wanted that height because I didn't think the mower handle could be folded.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JonnyH,

My workbench at home is 920mm high which is a very comfortable working height for me.

You can always adjust the length of the legs if you wanted it to be taller or shorter, but this height should be comfortable for most people.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with along the way, it would be great to see this design become a reality.

Jacob

JonnyH
Getting Established

Awesome thank you.

Also, the shed can gets damp in heavy rain, would you recommend the treated pine? I've heard damp wood can attract termites.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JonnyH,

H3 pine is going to be the best choice if there's any water around. The price is a little bit higher, but the longevity you get out of it will pay for itself.

Jacob

JonnyH
Getting Established

Okay. Thank you!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects