Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you sand a timber sleeper using an orbital sander?

kprasann1979
Getting Established

Can you sand a timber sleeper using an orbital sander?

I'm building an outdoor seating bench using 50mm by 200mm sleeper timbers. I would like to have a nice and smooth finish, is it ok to sand them using an orbital sander? Google search tells me varied opinions citing it's poisonous and not to sand vs some people saying it's ok to sand with mask on. Either ways, appreciate any advice on achieving smooth finish, thank you.

Re: Sanding sleeper timber

Hi @MitchellMc

I've just seen this post and I am now really worried. I went into a Bunnings store over the weekend and I asked for a timber I can use to make into a desk or table and I was advised of the 200 x 50 Pine Sleeper to use as the table top. Now I'm reading that H4 timber is poisonous and I've now cut it up and sanded down the timber!! I also have a newly pregnant wife at home. I'm actually quite annoyed that I was given this advice and spent all this money and now because I've cut it up and sanded it I now can't return it. I'm also now worried about my health due to possible ingestion of the poisonous saw dust.

what would you suggest I do?

Re: Sanding sleeper timber

@reececlack,

Many thanks for your message. 

Please note that in @MitchellMc's first reply in this discussion, he cautions not to sand any timber treated with CCA but recommends H4 Sienna MicroPro Sleepers as they don't have an arsenic-based treatment.

I will send you a private message to get details of the product you purchased and your store so the team can assist you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects