Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you replace joint expansion form?

joethomas
Just Starting Out

Can you replace joint expansion form?

Can I replace the joint expansion form between the base of exterior wall and the pebblecrete that surrounds my house? I bought an old house (2003) recently and am noticing that the concrete expansion forms are all worn out.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Joint expansion form replacement

Hi @joethomas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing expansion foam.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - What self-levelling sealant for sealing horizontal expansion joints in a concrete driveway? by @terrywang. Although it refers to a concrete driveway the conditions are the same regarding the expansion. If you are keen to use foam, I suggest having a look at Sika 10 x 75mm 6m Abelflex Expansion Joint Filler. It does come in thicker varieties, but if the gap becomes too big, I recommend having a look at Selleys 310ml Grey Flexiseal Polyurethane Construction Sealant

However, before you apply any sealant, please check the depth of the gap in your exterior wall. If the gap is too deep, I suggest using Gap filler Rod in the gap before applying the sealant.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects