Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can this pine post be fixed?

that_kp
Finding My Feet

Can this pine post be fixed?

We had some posts replaced but they are coming loose and seem to be twisting. Is this repairable or do I need to replace them? If I do need to replace, is cypress wood ok for it?

20240428_105300.jpg

20240428_105312.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Can this pine post be fixed?

Evening @that_kp 

That post that you show dosnt seem to have any bolts through it? I cant tell if there are screws from outside in with the angle of the photo?

Posts will twist, especially unseason ones. Its part and parcel of them is the way I look at it. As to securing the post to the beam I would suggest to use some bolts with washers.  But before you do it yourself I would probarly have a chat to the installer. If thats not doable then the bolts should be fine for securing the post. Looking at the scond photo raises another question, does the other replaced post have bolts through the top?

I would also like to say Howdy :smile: This is a great place to ask these questions as we all have been at the same point somewhere along the line. I am sure you will get a few ideas on ways forward.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Both posts are secured just with nails so I will look into getting some bolts to try and secure it better.

Unfortunately, the installer isn't able to be contacted as we asked for a refund for a variety of jobs he did badly.

Cheers.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @that_kp 

Ahhh man, sometimes I think its more effort then its worth chasing bad work for repairs. Wish I could come up with an equation that  works for everyone.

Nails are scary I must admit, Bolts will be easy to do and an easy fix. Hang out in here for awhile and you will see what all of us (Community members) are capable of, yourself included! :smile:

Pool deck stage 2 Is one of the projects that will show you how to attach a post to a beam.

Check out step 2 for how I attached the beams with bolts. Diagonally drilled and at least 20mm in from the edge. They make for a very solid connection. Mine was hardwood posts and beams so it was a lot harder to drill. Your post is pine and it looks like your beam is (cant think of the name but know it lol Its the same hardness as the pine post) So should be easy to drill.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @that_kp,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to see you've already received some advice from @Dave-1, who I completely agree with.

I'd advise using 2 x galvanised M12 cup head bolts with washers to secure the beam to the post.

You will need a long 12mm drill bit such as this Sutton Tools 12mm Long Series Jobber Drill Bit to predrill your holes. Put the bolt through the pilot hole with your washers in place and tighten. This will pull the two pieces of timber together snugly.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @that_kp 

"Is this repairable or do I need to replace them?"

Sorry to hear of your troubles - but my thought would be to replace them with a better product - plenty of choices at Bunnings. Wet sleepers are evil things when they twist and can hold their contorted position against your wishes. Even with a bolt, you may have trouble closing the gaps seen above.

Please keep us informed. 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects