Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can the external sliding door frame be repaired?

fermonica
Just Starting Out

Can the external sliding door frame be repaired?

There is rust on the external door frame..a hole with  a depth of 3cm..how do I get this fixed? I have getting tradies dealing with windows installation..and was I was informed they have limited resources..in short it's a small job..and they were only interested in changing the whole sliding door as a package..I am willing to attempt to DIY..myself..so I need your expertise..pls help

Thank you

1000006946.jpg

1000006946.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can the external sliding door frame be repaired?

Hi @fermonica,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Start by combining cleaning vinegar with warm water. Apply the solution to the corroded section of aluminium and scrub with a toothbrush or Oates Soft Grip Grout Brush to remove as much of the corrosion as possible.

Now the corrosion has been dealt with, I'd suggest using some Rust-Oleum White Flat 2X Ultra Cover Primer Spray Paint inside the corroded section. This is to coat the exposed metal and prevent further corrosion if any water gets in.

Once primed, you can then use Turbo Metal Builders Bog to fill the hole, doing your best to keep everything smooth. Once it has dried, you can sand and paint the bog to match.

Once this is done, I would suggest applying a gap filler such as this Selleys No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler along the crack between the sliding glass door and the brick. Water getting into this gap is the likely original cause of the corrosion, so preventing further water from getting in is definitely in your best interests.

You might like to check out How To Silicone a Gap for some guidance on this process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your reply.

You mentioned using exterior gap filler to seal off where the metal and brick meet..do I need to do the whole length?for preventative measures?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fermonica 

The purpose of the gap filler is to stop any water or moisture from entering the gap. It will be necessary to do the whole length where the frame meets the brick.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects