Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can Ekodeck warp in the sun?

AmirT
Finding My Feet

Can Ekodeck warp in the sun?

Please advise the chances that Ekodeck warps under the sun.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ekodeck and sun

Hello @AmirT 

Thanks for sharing your question about Ekodeck. I've personally have not seen Ekodeck warp, according to their website - Ekodeck is specifically developed to withstand Australia’s harsh weather conditions. Whether exposed to harsh western sun and UV, or wet and damp locations – Ekodeck excels in all aspects of performance, longevity and durability. 

My favourite part of Ekodeck is that it does not rot. Heavy rains and exposure to the sun are often the enemy of natural products. Ekodeck which is a composite decking does not have these issues. Some of our members have used Ekodeck when building low-level decks and they look fantastic.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: 25 inspiring low-level deck builds.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @oninpena for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @AmirT 

I have not heard or seen any bad reviews about ecodeck :smile: Its pretty hard to dislike a product when there isnt an instance of someone saying something not so great about it. Im not a fan of it personally as its plastic and when you cut plastic you get bits of plastic but thats an opinon :smile: As far as I can tell its a decent product :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can Ekodeck warp in the sun?

Hi @AmirT 

as with @EricL my understanding of ECO-Deck that being composite its free from warping. However information from a mate who owns a trade retail outlet for both a range of timber and composite deck, is that it will expand and contract with heat. This tends to be lengthwise not width. Apparently all composite products will do this to some small degree, just some more than others in particular cheap imports. It wouldn't be a deterrent to buy the Eco product which is one of the higher grade ones.

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Further to @Nailbag's response @AmirT, if the Ekodeck is installed as per specifications, it will not warp. Were two board ends butt up against each other, you need to follow the installation directions and allow a gap appropriate for expansion. Typically, breaker boards that run perpendicular to the decking boards are used.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AmirT
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric

Thanks Dave

Thanks, Nailbag,

Appreciate sharing your information.

Thanks Michell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects