Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to stop rain coming onto deck?

Meeks
Just Starting Out

Best way to stop rain coming onto deck?

Hi,

I'm hunting for a solution to rain(and maybe 

wind) coming onto my deck. We recently had a deck/pergola built but in our poor planning didn't think to have the roof extend to cover the gap between it and our car port. 

Unfortunately that's the direction the wind and rain comes in most often. 

Have looked into cafe blinds but they would have to be custom built so are SUPER expensive. 

Do you think a decorative panel that comes half way down would be enough or would I need to get something to cover the full height?

1000009144.jpg

1000009145.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to stop rain coming onto deck?

Hi @Meeks,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Can you advise what spacing your posts are at? 

This would help our members offer their best advice for potential solutions.

You may be able to use Bistro Blinds Clear With Black Trim PVC Outdoor Bistro Blind, which aren't exactly cheap, but they are likely cheaper than custom-made blinds. They come in a variety of sizes which could potentially work for you.

I think the idea of decorative screens at the top of your posts is a reasonable one. While this wouldn't completely weatherproof the area, it would certainly act as a barrier to catch a good amount of the rain that is blowing in.

You could have a look at our range of screen panels, or maybe you could build your own from SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking

You could even go as far as building something like this Pergola privacy screen by @Bankzee.

Allow me to tag @Nailbag, @TedBear and @Dave-1 to see if they have any other ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Afternoon @Meeks 

Yeah that would be a little frustrating 😕

I like the light that opening gives you so I have been looking around for something that can cover it but also be removed.

I have seen retractable screens that you pull across horizontaly that could work but the sizing seems to be all wrong. 

I am thinking of using hooks along the top rail and a coupl on the sides of the post to secure a ridgid privacy screen that can be removed (hangs on the hooks from the top and the side hooks are to tie to the post to stop it blowing.)

Any of the privacy screens will let rain through as they generally have gaps ect. Will have a think about it some more. The spacing between the posts would be handy to know as well :smile:

Dave

Meeks
Just Starting Out

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your response, the posts are 2.6m apart so I haven't had any luck in finding bistro/cafe blinds at that size so far. 

That job by bankzee looks great! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Meeks,

Just a thought, but could you attach some timbers to the inside of the posts to reduce the gap to 2.4m?

Then you could use the Bistro Blinds 240 x 240cm 0.75mm Clear with Black Trim PVC Outdoor Bistro Blinds.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Meeks I would definitely go with the bistro blinds @JacobZ linked you to. I not long ago helped a mate out with a similar scenario where he had a half wall at least. We had a set of custom blinds made up which have worked a treat.

Nailbag

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Meeks , further to the suggestion offfered by @JacobZ regarding using 2.4M  blinds, there are a range of extension pieces available (from Bunnings) at reasonable prices to build the width out. That way you can use readily available bistro blinds to seal off the area from wind and rain.

Meeks
Just Starting Out

I didn't know you could get extension peices! Thankyou. That could work. Might not be the nicest looking solution but it could suit the short term. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects