Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard revamp with pergola and screening

mohunter
Finding My Feet

Backyard revamp with pergola and screening

Recent build in lifestyle village. Large carport, small backyard. Open area with no defined spaces, colour variation or privacy. Plain colourbond fences, no shade and little protection from wind and sun. No sitting area. Pretty stark and drab but what a difference a handy hubby and bunnings can do. Very happy with the result. 

Materials

Timber ‘Merbau’ alternate panels, screen panelling from Bunnings Geraldton attached to timber posts mounted inside colour bond fence and onto painted steel gate used to screen carport.

Pergola posts and timber roof slats - pine. Painted in Dulux weather shield 

Merbau side gate and fittings for side gate.

LED low voltage lights

Kimado Joe

Various pots and plants

Zebra ceramic stool

Plastic outdoor utility cupboard

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Paving delivered. Hired cutter and compressor. Next up pergola frame - concreted in 2 new posts and frame built.

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_4005.jpeg

Step 2

Getting the pergola roof underway

1E47EFC8-A5B1-43C0-83C5-E85F8DE3E81C.jpeg

IMG_4020.jpeg

Step 3

Side screen erected first erected to hide utility area - gate put on last

IMG_4023.jpeg

Step 4

Exciting moment when it’s starting to transform.

IMG_4026.jpeg

Step 5

Next step was to screen the carport. Bought old steel gate, painted and timber panels attached. Has ability to open up if we need to bring our caravan under carport 

IMG_0359.jpeg

Step 6

Side gate installed and gardening storage cupboard nearby. 

IMG_0362.jpeg

Step 7

Sitting/dining area set up and plants added

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

Step 8

So delighted with the finished project. 

IMG_0353.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard revamp

Hi @mohunter,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Thank you for sharing your new private outdoor space with us and congratulations on a fantastic project.

You've turned a drab, lifeless space into a wonderful outdoor entertaining area with depth, colour and character.

I love the screening you've used, which I'm sure you're grateful to have for the privacy it gives.

Once again, congratulations on a fantastic project.

Jacob

jimmyplagiare
Just Starting Out

Hi there! If you get the chance, would you mind sharing how you achieved this beautiful slatted screen fence? The way it's different shadings within the individual slats etc and if you could link me through bunnings with some parts 😃 it would be much appreciated. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jimmyplagiare. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this awesome project.

Let me tag @mohunter so they are alerted to your question.

If you want to build something like this yourself, feel free to Ask a question, and our members will be happy to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Sorry @mohunter. I now see you've created another discussion and we'll be with your shortly. @jimmyplagiare appears to have used the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel for there fence. Hopefully they can fill us in on how the fence was created with it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jimmy @jimmyplagiare 

Brett’s told me the panels were attached to the colourbond fence with lengths of 70x35mm outdoor framing H3 treated pine.

i think Mitchell’s answered your other questions but more info on the other pictures. 

Maureen

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects