Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alternative to low profile decking pedestals for low-level deck build?

jeffl_au
Growing in Experience

Alternative to low profile decking pedestals for low-level deck build?

Hi there,

Planning to build a low profile deck (110mm) height at its lowest point, roughly 35sqm.

So I will be using 90x45 H3 MGP10 as the joists.

Part of the deck is over concrete patio, and part will be over dirt.

I am planning to have a max span of about 1m, 450mm apart.  The part that is over concrete, I am planning to dynabolt galvanised angles to the patio.   For the part that is over the dirt, I am seeing products like the tuffbuild blocks,  and deka blocks and a few others that can support the frame in the middle these are about $17 each.  Just wondering is there any problem with just stacking a few pavers to support the frame as oppose to buying these blocks?  I plan the have concreted posts around the edges so the deck won't move laterally.

thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ground prep for using deck block

Hi @jeffl_au 

Your proposed ground preparation steps look good. Will you be using pavers as suggested by @MitchellMc

My only other recommendation is to use a builder's line to keep everything lined up when you start laying down the footings.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your decking frame assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jeffl_au
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL 

I m still deciding between smaller pedestal sitting on a paver .. or just get toughblocks?  

I am assuming because toughblocks are larger (250x250), I won't need to sit them on paver?

thanks,

Jeff

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jeffl_au 

It is possible to use the BuildTuff 300 x 300 x 90mm TuffBlock Instant Foundation System Deck Support on a prepared surface. It is often easier to use a paver under the TuffBlock due to its flat surface.

However, the advantage of using the Builders Edge Pedestal Feet is that you can adjust the height of the pedestal without having to add more sand to the foundation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects