Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice re two details of planter with blue board cladding

PeterEllis49
Finding My Feet

Advice re two details of planter with blue board cladding

I am designing a planter box for my daughter's small garden.  I have used Adam Woodham's DIY Raised Planter Box design and video as the design basis.  My planter will be "L" shaped with 2.4 meter long sides and four 200mm sleepers high.  My daughter wants the planter to have a rendered look similar to her town house and hence it will be clad with blue board.

Two questions:

Q1          On the Bunning’s site I found two blue boards which appear suitable.  Hardie Tex (non-textured and requiring textured paint but less expensive), and Hardie Fine Texture (only requires painting but is more expensive).  The first is cheaper but requires a more complicated finish.  Are there any other options? And are there other factors I need to take into account?

Q2          MitchellMC recommended in a post re a blue board clad planter that the cladding not be fixed directly to the sleepers but rather fixed to battens to ensure no moisture transfer from the sleepers to the board.  Mitchell’s drawing showed relatively heavy treated pine battens (70 x 35 ?).  I was wanting to minimise the thickness of the planter walls and keep cost down by using a lighter treated pine material (maybe 19 x 40).  I cannot find this size on Bunning’s site.  Any suggestions re an alternative?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects