Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A cubby house for the grandkids

DIYforlife
Just Starting Out

A cubby house for the grandkids

I bought a cubby house kit online, for when my grandchildren visit. I wanted to enclose all of the windows and openings, so that it was waterproof. The kit only had a half door, so I also needed to make it a full door. I used all Bunnings supplies and tools to complete this project. I Love how this turned out!

Materials

Cubby house bought online from Hide 'n Seek Kids, but everything else is from Bunnings.

Dulux 1 step prep Primer.

Dulux Weathershield Maxiflex Low Sheen White paint.

Suntuff plexiglass, 1 Metre roll.

30 mm x 10mm Pine.

Gorilla waterproof patch & seal tape in white.

Moroday multi Seal Foam.

Hinges and assorted screws.

Small L brackets.

Neodymium adhesive magnets.

Rechargeable camping globe and white plastic light shade.

Gorilla clear glue.

Wood glue.

Brushed brass knobs.

Tools

Ozito 1600W 210mm Compound Mitre Saw.

Ozito battery powered drill.

Ryobi battery powered orbital sander.

Tape measure.

Steps

Step 1

Firstly, I painted all the panels inside and out, including the roof and floor, with 2 coats of primer, then 2 coats of paint. I used White Knight Rust Guard spray paint in the colour Paperbark for the flower boxes. 

1000014309.jpg

I then assembled the cubby. 

Step 2

Next I measured the 2 large side windows, and the top of the door I needed to build. Using my mitre saw, I cut all the pine to size, cutting 2 extra pieces for the hinges to attach to on the sides of the cubby. I sanded and painted all those pieces and built the frames using the L brackets (so I would have something for the magnets to stick to). Next, I measured and cut the plexiglass to size, using a metal ruler as a guide and my Stanley knife, and using clear Gorilla glue, I adhered them to the frames, using silicone around the edges to seal the plexiglass. I also cut 2 smaller pieces of plexiglass for the 2 front windows, which I glued directly to the outside frame using gorilla glue. After attaching the windows and the top of the door, I used the multi Seal Foam around the inside frame of the windows. I cut 2 small triangles of pine to adhere the magnets to, at the top and bottom on the front door opening. I added the magnets to the top and bottom of both sides of the cubby for the windows to close. I added knobs to the windows and door.

1000014313.jpg

1000014304.jpg

Step 3

Using the Corflute, I measured and cut 2 triangle pieces for the gable. I used clear gorilla glue to attached them to the inside of the gable frame. I cut the white Gorilla patch & seal tape to waterproof the centre of the roof.

1000014311.jpg

Step 4

Next I used the camping globe and slipped over the light shade, and attached it to a 3 M removable hook to the ceiling.

1000014300.jpg

1000014306.jpg

1000014277.jpg

This was such a fun project, and the grandkids absolutely love the cubby house.

1000014309.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A Cubby House project for the grandkids.

Hi @DIYforlife,

Thank you for sharing your project and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Your attention to detail and the love you’ve poured into every aspect of this project is evident. I can already picture the endless joy and laughter your grandkids will experience as they explore and play in this delightful little haven. The memories they’ll create in the cubby house will be truly priceless, thanks to your incredible effort.

I particularly love the little planter boxes and the "free-range children" sign.

Congratulations on a fantastic project that I'm sure will be loved for years to come.

Jacob

Re: A Cubby House project for the grandkids.

Thank you so much Jacob, for the warm welcome, and for liking this project. I thoroughly enjoyed doing this, and the grandkids have been busy making fabulous memories already.

Cheers, Karen at DIYforlife.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects