Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

sunroom insulation

cdrechsler
Community Newcomer

sunroom insulation

Hi Team!

I’m about to start a project of insulating our sunroom that gets extremely hot in the summer time. 
I don’t want to spend a whole lot on this as it is a rental and we won’t be here forever. 
My idea is to use Ametalin thermal liner to line the underside of the metal sheeting ( I’m guessing it’s colorbond sheeting) 

I’ll unscrew all the sheeting and then just lift the sheets enough to slide the thermal liner underneath, adhere it with something ( double sided tape or liquid nails?… suggestions please?) and then screw the sheets back down to also hold it in place and then use the Ametalin insulation tape to tape all the seams up so there’s no flappy gaps. 
does this sound like a good way to go and would it give adequate temperature reduction?

thanks in advance

74864875766__4BC4AB44-02F6-4511-8C2B-B354AFD69D8B.jpeg

74864873777__1FAC8D13-A77B-4795-94D9-88D7E54C7F1A.jpeg

74864871639__B3E5C906-E151-4245-AD14-1D175F889532.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sunroom insulation

Hi @cdrechsler,

It depends on what you consider an adequate temperature reduction. I suspect you would need to go with a higher R-value insulation to see any significant difference. If you are only looking for a slight reduction in heat, then the Ametalin product might work for you. I'd suggest that you consider polyester insulation batts or even Foilboard instead. There would be more work involved with their installation, but you'll also see a better result. Even with sufficient insulation, you're only likely to see a heat reduction of a few degrees.

You might like to read through some of the many previous discussions on insulating patio areas. There's plenty of great advice from our members in those.

If you do go with the Ametalin products, then they have a range of fixing tapes for installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects