Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair stippled walls?

Jezz78
Finding My Feet

How to repair stippled walls?

Hi, firstly the Bunnings workshop is great! I have already learnt so much here.  

I’m starting off a renovation of my 1970’s apartment including new flooring, kitchen, bathroom, painting and some interior features such as feature paneling in some areas.

I’m stumped on a part though regarding the walls. The apartment has cement walls which have a stippled texture and I have the following issues:

How to fill the fine cracks

How to fill the small holes

How to match the render style

and lastly how to blend the areas that have been repaired in the past that are smooth and stand out.  I will be painting with Taubmans Cradle White which is a warmer white minimising shadow from the texture if this helps. 

I tried to take best pictures I could but happy to take more. Thanks in advance 

IMG_5397.jpeg

IMG_5398.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5401.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repairing srippled walls

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jezz78. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repair textured walls.

For the fine cracks, I recommend using a product like Polyfilla 500g Exterior Brick and Render Masonry. It's ideal for filling small cracks and will create a render-like finish that blends well with stippled textures. To match the texture after applying the filler, you can gently tap the surface with an old toothbrush while the filler is still soft to recreate the stippled pattern.

For the small holes, the same product should work effectively. Make sure to press the filler into the holes and smooth it over before texturing the surface. 

To match the existing stippled texture across the walls, especially for areas where the texture has worn down or been smoothed out, you could try using a UNi-PRO 230mm Medium Foam Texture Roller Cover, which will help to pull up peaks in the paint and give you a stippled effect. You may need to practice on a scrap piece of board or paper to get the right amount of texture and match it to the original wall.

If those areas are too prominent, another option is to lightly sand the surrounding textured areas to soften the contrast. This will help to blend both the smooth and textured sections before applying paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: repairing srippled walls

Thanks Mitchell, I’ll give that a go. Looks like snags for lunch then :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects