Workshop
Ask a question

How to restore the seats of Fletcher Parker dining chairs?

LorenB
Just Starting Out

How to restore the seats of Fletcher Parker dining chairs?

WIN_20240715_10_48_40_Pro.jpgWIN_20240715_10_49_03_Pro.jpg

Looking for advice please on how to restore the seats of these gorgeous Fletcher Parker chairs? I wish to maintain the fabric - is still intact without rips.

Seems I will need to replace the strapping and foam stuffing? Have not done before.

Is it difficult?

Chair frames are mostly sturdy, but could probably do with strengthening - is that re-glueing? and how to do?

Or should I just be handing to a professional?

I would like to do myself though if not too tricky.

many thanks in advance,

Loren

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore the seats of Fletcher Parker dining chairs?

Hello @LorenB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about restoring your dining chairs.

If the fabric is still in good condition, you'll need to remove the seat as a whole and trace the strapping which is possibly made of Jack 50mm x 33m Jute Webbing Plant Tie or similar fabric. The foam is filled back in first and then the strap is stapled to a timber frame. 

That would be the quick way to restore it, however, the professionals would remove the timber frame and put in a new foam seat and reupholster it. This is on the condition that the fabric can withstand the stress the new foam exerts on the fabric.

In regards to the chair, if there are screws that can be re-tightened then that is the most I would suggest doing. Drilling new screws if not done properly could compromise the chairs strength and stability.  

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Chair restoration by @pepsp.

Here is a handy-step-by-step guide: How To Paint And Reupholster A Stool.

Let me call on our experienced members @RenoRach1 @lifestylebymari and @prettyliving for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects