Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Woven rope bench

H3nna
Having an Impact

Woven rope bench

20240730_122233.jpg

Rope bench.

Materials

white cotton rope, thickness 7mm.

Four legs from old chair.

Two 7*72cm timber pieces for each end.

Two  7*34cm timber pieces for each side.

Four corner brackets.

Two pieces of timber to the middle for support. 

Tools

Screwdriver 

Drill

Screws

Saw

Scissors 

Tape measure 

+ Lot of patient!

Steps

Step 1

Screenshot_20240730-123728.png

 First I built the frame using things that I already had at home. I took apart an old chair to use the legs of the chair. Then I cut the pieces of timber and screw them to the legs using the corner brackets. 

I also added two pieces of timber to the middle to support the bench. 

Step 2

Screenshot_20240730-123803.png

 Then I started wrap the rope around the bench from one end of the bench to the other. When I had to tide knots I made sure the knots were placed underneath so you can not see them. 

Screenshot_20240730-123755.png

 And then I wove the rope other way. You can find different ways to do it on YouTube. The rope woven part takes time. Make sure you keep the rope tight and you might need to press the rope closer to each other time to time so there are no big gaps. 

Step 3

Screenshot_20240730-123809.png

 When I finished the bench I also wrapped rope around the legs to make it more secure. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Woven rope bench

Hello @H3nna 

This DIY rope bench looks fantastic! I love how the neat and orderly rope pattern gives it such a clean and stylish look. You’ve done an amazing job with the weaving. It really shows off your creativity and skill. It's a great addition to your space, both as a functional piece and a unique bit of art!

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @H3nna 

Your bench looks good :smile: I really like how you have reused parts to make the frame and also the inside supports to stop the sides come in as you wrapped the rope. How long did it take you to do?

Seriously I cant see a bow in the rope with the plant on it! :surprised: Impressed!

Dave

H3nna
Having an Impact

Thank you Eric 

H3nna
Having an Impact

Thank you. 

I think the legs will break before the rope gives up. 

Building the frame was the easy part but waving took me days. I was only able to do it night time. I don't remember exactly how many days I was doing it sorry. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects