Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What clear finish for Cypress Pine?

richard56
Community Newcomer

What clear finish for Cypress Pine?

What would be a good clear finish that'll highlight a small Cypress Pine table please?

How would floor wax go?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What clear finish for Cypress Pine?

Hi @richard56,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

If you already had some floor wax at home that you'd like to use, it may give you a decent result, but there are likely better options.

Just to confirm, is this table going to be used exclusively indoors? 

If so, there are three main clear finish options to consider: oil, wax, and varnish. Each has its own benefits and characteristics depending on the look, feel, and level of protection you're after.

Oils, such as Danish Oil or Tung Oil are great for enhancing the natural beauty of timbers with a more natural feel. It’s relatively easy to maintain but needs regular reapplication.

Waxes, such as Natural Hard Wax or Beeswax are ideal for a soft, natural look but less durable, requiring more frequent maintenance. Best for lower-use tables.

Varnishes, such as Cabothane Clear Timber Varnish or Monocel Timber Varnish offer the best protection, durability, and a more polished look but create a surface film, so you lose the tactile feel of the timber. If you choose to use varnish, consider the level of sheen you are after as they come in matt, satin and gloss finishes, with each being shinier than the one before.

If the table will be used outdoors, wax is not recommended. You'd have to use an oil such as Feast Watson Clear Outdoor Furniture Oil, or a varnish such as Cabot's Oil Based Cabothane Clear Varnish

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

richard56
Community Newcomer

Sorry for not letting you about the indoor/outdoor thing. I never gave it a thought.

It'll be an inside table.

Looks like I'm going shopping this w/end.

Many thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @richard56 

Please don't forget to post a photo update of your project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the finish on your table.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects