Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled side table

Lmassih
Building a Reputation

Upcycled side table

IMG-20220713-WA0004.jpg

Upcycled a side table which we purchased from Vinnies for $8.

It had a off white colour and it needed a bit of TLC.

We decided to paint it black since our previous project came out great in colour black. We fixed any damages or scratches and started to paint. The handle was spray painted in gold, and the inside of the draw was painted in plain white.

It looked stunning once done. 

Primer : Zinsser 

Paint: British Paints Black

Inside draw: dulux white

Sealer: Cabinets crystal clear 

Handle: Rustoleum gold spray paint 

IMG-20220412-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220702-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220713-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220713-WA0005.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled side table

Beautiful work once again, @Lmassih. I trust you are thrilled with how the project turned out. 

I love those handles. The Rustoleum gold spraypaint has a fantastic finish to it. Sometimes gold and silvers can look slightly off, but this one is quite convincing.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
padawan
Just Starting Out

Did you need to sand it? And what's the different grits that you used? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @padawan,

Thank you for your questions and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Allow me to tag @Lmassih so they are notified of your questions. Hopefully, they will respond shortly.

I'd say it is fairly likely that they sanded the timber to get such a good finish. Depending on the condition of the workpiece, you'd typically start with a medium to heavy grit such as this 80-grit sandpaper, before moving up to 120-grit sandpaper and then a fine grit such as this 240-grit sandpaper to finish.

You might like to check out How To Restore Wooden Furniture and How To Restore A Timber Table In A Few Easy Steps for a bit of extra guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Lmassih
Building a Reputation

Hi @padawan  

Thanks for reaching out. Like @JacobZ said yes I did use a medium grit, started with a 120grit using an orbital sander and for the legs I used my hand. Then followed with a 240grit with the same process. I wipped it down as I was sanding in-between making sure I got the smoothness I need.

I hope this does help with your project.

padawan
Just Starting Out

Thanks to @JacobZ and @Lmassih. It will be my first time upcycling and I'm so looking forward to it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects