Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a DIY vocal booth?

leals3
Just Starting Out

How to build a DIY vocal booth?

Hi! At my current place I've been using a wardrobe as a vocal booth (voice acting/voice over), and shortly I'll be moving to a house without such a space. I've done a mock up of what little room I'm working with, and was looking for help working out what materials to use for my new booth! (Yes I'm aware that the room will be crowded to hell, but I am unable to relocate the cupboard to another room in the house so it is what it is).

I'm estimating the booth to be around 100cmx180cm so it's big enough to fit my adjustable desk in, as well as an office chair, ring light and acoustic egg foam panels. Height I am unsure, but I am 164cm tall so just needs to be higher than that so I can stand comfortably. I don't think this booth will need a floor, as the bedroom is carpeted. 

The desk is 60x80cm. The chair might be 70cmx60cm? and needs some room to lean back a bit. I have 24 acoustic panels, but might need to purchase more (and don't have any bass traps yet). The ring light is on a stand, but would only need a few cms (maybe five) to squeeze in behind the desk.

I'd need a small hole cut out maybe near the bottom (closest to the window) so I can run an extension cord through... And I'm thinking a door would be better than just a moving blanket. Yes, that means I will absolutely die in the South Australian summer lmao but better for sound proofing.

My budget is probably around $300-$600 (because I have to buy the chair), but potentially could go a little higher if materials dictated so. I'm aware that building something under $2,000 is not going to result in super professional quality/be completely sound proof, but I am starting out and probably going to be in this space for a year and a half, give or take, so not going to invest heavily until I have a permanent home base.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with material types and measurements! :smile:
Lea

Screenshot 2024-09-13 171710.pngScreenshot 2024-09-13 172123.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vocal Booth DIY

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @leals3. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question on building a sound booth.

I'd recommend you build your booth from CUSTOMwood 18 x 2400 x 1200mm Raw E0 MDF. It's quite dense, and its thickness will allow you to get away without having to build a solid timber frame. You'll need around six panels, bringing you to the $300 mark. You'll need some timber screws and a few hinges for your door.

Each side (being the longer ones) is constructed from an 1800 x 1200mm and 1800 x 600mm panel to give you 1800 x 1800mm. Some mending plates and small screws can be used to join these large side panels. The front and back are constructed from a 1800 x 1000mm panel. The top is constructed from a 1850 x 1000mm panel.

For the door, you might like to cut off the top 200mm of it and screw it into position to help reinforce the top and structure.

I've created some renderings below to assist you with your project.

With the sizes of the panels I've listed, you should be able to screw through the edges of the boards into the thickness of the adjoining board. Make sure to pre-drill your holes first with a 3mm drill bit to avoid splitting the panels.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey, Mitchell! Thanks heaps for not only the mockup, but the speed of the reply! I appreciate it!

I'm now debating whether I go the PVC pipe/blanket route that a few of my VO cast mates have done, for more breathability. But if I don't, would you recommended adding any other layers to the walls of your design above (and potentially adding some sort of wool/insulation inbetween the walls) or would it not make that much difference to the sound scape given a potentially $600 maxish budget? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @leals3 

Adding insulation with an acoustic rating will definitely add to the sound permeability of your booth and lower outside noise from coming in, but at this point in time I think your current setup will suffice. Eventually you'll need a bigger booth and when that happens you can then start thinking of adding insulation and a double studio door. I propose investing in a portable aircon unit such as the Click 2.06KW White Portable Air Conditioner and create an air tunnel to your studio so that you and your computer will not expire from the intense heat inside that enclosed space.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects