Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair rotten sliding door?

johnk
Finding My Feet

How to repair rotten sliding door?

Hi all,

I am repairing the rotten section of a timber sliding door which faces on the inside. 

Thus far I used multiple coats of Earl's Wood Hardener over several days including a medical syringe to pump the hardener in multiple places along the section I am  repairing. The section now has a glazed look to is and it quite hard to the touch. I then plan to undercoat, then wanting to use a filler, sand this back, undercoat, and then paint.

I have not had good success with Turbo Builders Bog and I have found that for applications like this it will eventually crack. So I was hopping for a flexible filler to use that can cope with flex. Wondering if something like the Polyfilla 450g Exterior Timber Filler might be a better solution?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/polyfilla-450g-exterior-timber-filler_p1210571?region_id=116310&gad_sour...

Many thanks!

John.

IMG_2802.JPG

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair rotten sliding door?

Hi @johnk,

Thank you for your question.

What you've done so far is brilliant and it sounds like it's done a great job of hardening up the rotten sections. I've been surprised in the past by just how effective the Earl's Wood Hardener is. 

The Polyfilla Exterior Timber Filler is the perfect product for filling those small cracks as it is slightly flexible to account for the movement and impacts the door will experience. 

As you've already said, the process would be to fill the hole, sand it back, undercoat and then paint. It is likely worth taping the glass with ScotchBlue 48mm x 55m Original Multi-Surface Painter’s Masking Tape to prevent any scratches or errant paint, but other than that, there's not much I can add as you are already on the right track. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects