Workshop
Ask a question

How to patch in old fireplace?

georgiacass
Community Newcomer

How to patch in old fireplace?

IMG_7811.jpeg

Hello! I’m after some advise as to how to patch in an old fireplace. This was an old gas fireplace which had become a safety hazard for our two toddler as well as taking up majority of our living room wall space so we have decided to remove it and patch it in. 
It obviously going to leave a large hole plus damage to the surrounding drywall. 
how would I go about patching this in to make it look like a normal wall?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patching in old fireplace

Hello @georgiacass 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about patching your old fireplace.

Before you cover your fireplace, I suggest having your chimney or flue professionally sealed off. Any gas fittings that go in the chimney must be professionally turned off and deactivated. Once this is done then you can start covering the fireplace. I see that you've already started with the brick hearth, if the flooring is rough and pitted but not flat, I suggest using Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix to fill the gaps and flatten the surface.

For the front of the fireplace, I propose building a timber frame made from 90 x 45mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m and anchoring it to the bricks of the fireplace. You can then use standard plasterboard to cover the front and fill in the joints. The final steps will be to sand the filler and paint the surface. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @georgiacass 

I have done this project a few times now and below is how I have done this.

Once your have removed your brick hearth your next challenge will be to match the tall traditional architrave. Google "Heritage Architraves"

Patching the plasterboard infill to the rest of the wall takes some skill to make it appear seamless. Unless your have or know someone, I would get a professional plasterer involved.

I hope this helps. Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 10.02.45 PM.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @georgiacass 

That is an interesting job :smile: I do have a question about the metal inset, doe sit come out to the edge of the plaster? From the photo it looks like it stands a little proud of the surface?

My steps would be along the same lines as @EricL and also factoring in @Nailbag 's recomendations. The steel shell is the only bit that concerns me. Maybe in the process of having the chiment capped (as it will be flued to outside) you can ask the easiest way to remove the metal or if it should be removed as it could be supporting brickwork ect.

It will definently give you more space in the area. And it would also make a great project to put in here. I hope to see it and the steps a syou go through the modification of the old fireplace.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects