Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mould and water damage to wooden flooring

happycat
Getting Established

Mould and water damage to wooden flooring

IMG_9183.jpeg

Plant pot drainage plug was loose and we weren’t aware. Discovered water stain and potentially mould on hardwood flooring when we moved the plant.

Any suggestions on how to remove the stain is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mould and water damage to wooden flooring

Hello @happycat 

Thanks for sharing your question about the mould damage on your floor. I propose doing a basic clean first with soap and detergent in combination with a toothbrush. A toothbrush will be strong enough to scrub the surface of the floor but not damage the timber fibres beneath. 

Once you've scrubbed the surface, I then suggest testing Exit Mould 500mL Mould & Stain Cleaner Trigger Spray. As I've mentioned in another discussion, Exit Mould is a very powerful mould cleaner and excessive use could bleach your timber floor excessively and damage could occur. I suggest using only one drop of the exit mould on the darkest parts of your floor. If you notice excessive bleaching occurring, please stop using the cleaning chemical.

My only other suggestion is to sand the damaged area and do a patch repair job on the timber surface. Please note that a patch repair will not match your current flooring finish, it is only done to prevent the mould from spreading further into the structure of the wood. When you are ready for a full revamp you can then sand the entire floor area and put on a new seal.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects