Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Living room VJ panel feature wall

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Living room VJ panel feature wall

Installation of VJ panel feature wall in the living room

Materials

Easycraft VJ panel boards 1200 x 2400mm cut to size

Selleys liquid nails

selleys no mare gaps

timbermate wood filler

Unipro smooth coat

Assorted Packers

10mm nap roller

paint brush

Frogtape. Highly recommended

sand paper

Dulux 1 step primer

Taubman Endure paint

Tools

Ryobi Airbrader

Ozito Jigsaw

Steps

Step 1

I measured the height and the width of the existing wall and went to the local Bunnings store. I asked them to cut the panels to my required dimension which were approximately 200mm from the top on all the sheets and about 50 from the end from the last sheet. Sheets got delivered home in a couple of days. Double check the dimensions.

Step 2

IMG_8502_Original.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

I did not remove the skirting and allowed for about 10mm gap top and bottom. 5mm gap on the sides. I started installing sheets but got into problem as I realised that cornice and the skirting are not flat. Also the side walls are not plumb.

Ended up with uneven gap on all 4 sides.

i highly recommend removing skirting if you are planning on installing. It will give your job a much neater finish and save you a lot of time.

Step 3

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

IMG_8541.jpeg

I decided to even out the gaps by installing offcuts of the VJ panel. This was a slow and tedious process. I took the measurements allowed for 3mm gap. Cut out using a jig saw and used liquid nails to install in place. Used wood filler and sanding a few times to smoothen it out

Step 4

IMG_8568.jpeg

IMG_8570.jpeg

I realised that the vertical gap was easier than the horizontal gap to fill in. I put in plaster filler on the sides and allowed it to dry. I used plaster fill because it’s easy to use and sand and also paintable. But the plaster fill needs to applied in layers so it cracked because I did not put in enough layers. I used wood filler to fill the cracks and finish. I sanded afterwards and it came out very good.

Step 5

I filled all the nail holes. Sanded them smooth. Sanded all the sheets ready for priming.  Caulked all around the edges. Again this is a slow and tedious but take your time in it as it affect the final outcome.

Step 6

IMG_8579.jpeg

IMG_8590.jpeg

I primed the sheets locally where they were sanded and applied three coats of Taubmans Endure Hog bristle

Step 7

7029e817-3744-4e90-86df-abc7d04122a3.jpeg

IMG_8595.jpeg

Before and after photo. It has made a huge difference.

Thanks to @MitchellMc @Dave-1 @Nailbag and @EricL for the feedback, suggestions and encouragement along the ways.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Living room VJ panel feature wall

Amazing results @SaadMalik. I love the finished look. Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Nice job @SaadMalik 

:laugh: Worth the headaches and the effort for sure! :smile: 

I like how it gives the room more depth and really shows what can be done by changing something in a room!

Dave

Martin_Smythe
Just Starting Out

Excellent job @SaadMalik thanks for sharing - great work!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects