Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it safe to install a swing rigged on these beams?

xTia94
Getting Established

Is it safe to install a swing rigged on these beams?

Hi all,

I’m looking to install a yoga/sensory swing in our living room (using the below rigging plates bolted on one single beam in the centre) does anyone know if these beams are safe to bear a 100kg load? A carpenter has advised me that it is fine and has offered to install, but my partner is wondering whether a structural engineer should be consulted. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

IMG_3763.png

IMG_3828.jpeg

IMG_3825.jpeg

  

IMG_3827.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it safe to install a swing rigged on these beams?

Hi @xTia94

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

You will need to contact a structural engineer so calculations can be done. The dynamic nature of the load applied to these beams may have some effect on the structure of your home and it is worth being certain that it is safe.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Nailbag, @Jewelleryrescue, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Does anyone know whether its safe to install a swing rigged on these beams?

Hi @xTia94 

If it was just for me and I knew how I was installing the mounting plate, I would possibly go ahead. But as there is no way of knowing 100% for sure I would have to go with @JacobZ and er on the side of caution as neither of us can physically ascertain the structural integrity of the beams from an online advisory perspective.

Just to clarify, a carpenter may have the experience, but doesn't have any official structural training that a qualified builder would have. If yours does, then I would be satisfied if he was to also do the installation. Otherwise I would go down the engineer path.

Regards, Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @xTia94,

I just wanted to follow up and confirm that it would be best to contact an engineer. Those beams would have been chosen to support the weight of your roof and not additional weight being hung off them. There's a big difference between supporting a structure above and a hanging weight below them.

It's always best to be on the side of caution and have the structure assessed by a professional.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitcehll

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good Evening @xTia94 

I would suggest a nope 😕 As much as it would be a nice thing to have. Imagine the forces involved with even a small back and fourth swing as it reaches its apex and then back again. If its not in line with the supports (as in the way they run) it would create even more of a laod of twisting. 

With the trusses, are they for look or are they true roof supports? Noggins and structures above them? These are the thinsg that go through my head everytime a swing is mentioned. Id like one on my pool deck and its a solid deck but the lateral forces of people swinging... 😕 Means a no. 

Dave

xTia94
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply Jacob, and thanks for tagging others to weigh in on my query - legend! ☺️ I appreciate the advice. Seems like it would be wise to have a chat with a structural engineer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! 

Tia

xTia94
Getting Established

Re: Does anyone know whether its safe to install a swing rigged on these beams?

Thanks for the advice, Nailbag! Much appreciated.

I’ll be speaking with a structural engineer following the sound advice on here 😊 The carpenter was quick to agree to the job but doesn’t seem too concerned at all about our concerns. Good to know we were wise to not jump straight into it. Thanks so much!

Tia

xTia94
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell,

Thanks for following up. Definitely sounds like the best bet is to speak with a structural engineer. Very glad we didn’t let the carpenter jump straight into it without a second opinion. Thanks so much for your input 😊

Cheers,

Tia

xTia94
Getting Established

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your response! I really appreciate your knowledge and honesty. And thanks for the explanation, I think I’m ready to accept this isn’t a possibility. Certainly would be nice to have but not worth the safety risk or the damage to the house. 

Thanks for weighing in!

Cheers,

Tia

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Your beams have a fairly steep slope, so if you attach both ropes to the same beam one rope will be longer than the other and your swing won't "swing" properly (it will want to swing in an arc towards the wall on the low side).  If you attach to two adjacent beams at the same height, you can overcome this problem and also halve the load on each beam, but have less swinging space.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects